turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I've been trying to contact the irs but i can't get through is there another way?

@GeckoEB - assume 6-9 months to process paper returns.  it is the largest part of the IRS backlog

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue#coll...

As of June 1, 2022, we had 10.5 million unprocessed individual returns which include returns received before 2022, and new tax year 2021 returns. Of these, 2 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 8.5 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If a correction is made to any Recovery Rebate Credit, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

I've been trying to contact the irs but i can't get through is there another way?

Yea well what am I supposed to do when I get a letter this In response to my first stimulus taxes that I still have not yet to receive but I got a letter instead saying that they accepted my tax return however my identity was being verified and needed to be verified and to call a number specifically in the letter which when you call they hang up on you after holding for about 2 to 3 hours on average I've been calling for almost 2 years now not every single day but almost and I have gotten nowhere they just hang up on you I can't even leave a message but I verified my identity in between the time frame that I've been waiting through ID me which is something that they said they approved off their website and I did this through social security administration because I also needed a social security ID card just in case I needed to verify my identity in person which I don't know where that would be but I can't log in because I can't pass the questions on there so I had to go through a verification so I did that and I successfully did this after about a 30 days of back and forth trying to get there all the paperwork they needed I verify my identity and I hear I think this is going to work and I've done nothing they've done nothing to the taxes they have still the same stuff I don't even know how to get that to them it's connected to my account if you log into it it's connected to social security and that and IRS I don't know what else I'm supposed to do but when I called IRS I talked to somebody with a different number that I won't provide cuz they just delete it but I got a hold of somebody and they didn't do this stuff but they basically told me that the ID me stuff probably wasn't going to be acceptable even though their website says it is so I just went through all that for nothing but I'm not even going to get a tax return that's the stupid part about all of this I have no money coming to me so why would I need my identity verified it's not like anybody's going to steal anything yet we're still here and I'm now three almost three years later it's just total bs If you ask me considering the fact that the government and the specifically the IRS have has you jumping through hoops from time frames and then they start finding you when you don't and tacking on fees that frankly no one can pay But honestly I've done everything that they want and some and I'm still not anywhere closer to getting my tax return which I definitely need It was going to things that I need to pay off and debt with the IRS so that's not like they don't know about it yet I'm still in limbo I can't get anyone to answer that phone that they tell you to call It's just stupid and ridiculous They should be fine and I should have my balance zero just because of this whole thing. Cuz that's exactly what they do to me or us The citizens when they don't follow the rules and jump through their hoops by deadlines and by dates if it's late etc so it's just crap You know they expect us to do all this crap u know but then they don't live by that standard or operate at that level when time comes to reciprocate. 

@ ginger1276 wrote:

Yea well what am I supposed to do when I get a letter this In response to my first stimulus taxes that I still have not yet to receive but I got a letter instead saying that they accepted my tax return however my identity was being verified and needed to be verified and to call a number specifically in the letter which when you call they hang up on you after holding for about 2 to 3 hours on average I've been calling for almost 2 years now not every single day but almost and I have gotten nowhere they just hang up on you I can't even leave a message but I verified my identity in between the time frame that I've been waiting through ID me which is something that they said they approved off their website and I did this through social security administration because I also needed a social security ID card just in case I needed to verify my identity in person which I don't know where that would be but I can't log in because I can't pass the questions on there so I had to go through a verification so I did that and I successfully did this after about a 30 days of back and forth trying to get there all the paperwork they needed I verify my identity and I hear I think this is going to work and I've done nothing they've done nothing to the taxes they have still the same stuff I don't even know how to get that to them it's connected to my account if you log into it it's connected to social security and that and IRS I don't know what else I'm supposed to do but when I called IRS I talked to somebody with a different number that I won't provide cuz they just delete it but I got a hold of somebody and they didn't do this stuff but they basically told me that the ID me stuff probably wasn't going to be acceptable even though their website says it is so I just went through all that for nothing but I'm not even going to get a tax return that's the stupid part about all of this I have no money coming to me so why would I need my identity verified it's not like anybody's going to steal anything yet we're still here and I'm now three almost three years later it's just total bs If you ask me considering the fact that the government and the specifically the IRS have has you jumping through hoops from time frames and then they start finding you when you don't and tacking on fees that frankly no one can pay But honestly I've done everything that they want and some and I'm still not anywhere closer to getting my tax return which I definitely need It was going to things that I need to pay off and debt with the IRS so that's not like they don't know about it yet I'm still in limbo I can't get anyone to answer that phone that they tell you to call It's just stupid and ridiculous They should be fine and I should have my balance zero just because of this whole thing. Cuz that's exactly what they do to me or us The citizens when they don't follow the rules and jump through their hoops by deadlines and by dates if it's late etc so it's just crap You know they expect us to do all this crap u know but then they don't live by that standard or operate at that level when time comes to reciprocate.

This is mainly a user community forum.  It will be difficult for folks in a user community to fully understand your issue and can't really do much other than offer a suggestion anyway.  It's difficult to read such a long paragraph with almost no punctuation.   But it sounds like it boils down to something in regards to a return and problems you've had verifying your identity.  

We don't even know what tax years you are referring to.    You said "almost three years later", so that makes it sound like an issue with a return from  2-3 years ago, and maybe your issue also includes returns filed since then, too, perhaps including the current 2021,  but I can't tell from what you wrote.   In any case, here's something to try:

If you are having trouble reaching the IRS to get your issue resolved, you should contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.    They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.   So stress those 3 points that I emphasized in bold.

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.    If the Taxpayer Advocate can't/won't help you, ask them to transfer you to an IRS agent.  A couple of users reported that at least for them, that was a backdoor route to the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

RobM4

Whenever I call an IRS phone number, and I have tried several, I get a message saying the office is closed. This is despite being within the hours the message says they are open.

I am trying to get follow up information on a previous call where they said they had to do have a higher level manager investigate the subject

@RobM4 Yes---it is difficult and frustrating to call the IRS.   They are short-staffed, backlogged, and only answer a small percentage of the calls made to them.    We have heard from users who managed to reach them by calling at 7 a.m.   

If you have a question that can be answered here in the user forum, we can try to help.  

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies