turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gatrellc

I have used TurboTax for years. I cannot update TurboTax 2020 to begin using. I repeatedly get "Fatal Error 1603." Manual update does nothing. What can I try next?

After clicking on the manual update, I cannot find an update exe file.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

I have used TurboTax for years. I cannot update TurboTax 2020 to begin using. I repeatedly get "Fatal Error 1603." Manual update does nothing. What can I try next?

I have same issue cannot update 

gives me error 1603

is there manual update for now 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

This error can occur when the Microsoft .NET Framework Installer can't install and/or update your system. Possible causes include:

• Damaged Windows file and folder permissions
  • Damaged Windows Registry key permissions
  • Damaged Microsoft .NET Framework installation

Solutions

If error 1603 occurs while updating TurboTax, download and install a manual update.

If error 1603 occurs while installing TurboTax (or in other situations), it may be related to the .NET Framework. See Troubleshooting problems with the Microsoft .NET Framework for more help.

Note: We suggest using Windows Update to ensure that your operating system is up-to-date, as this may resolve error 1603.

Please click Error 1603: "A fatal error occurred during installation or updating" to learn more. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've tried all of the suggestions to no avail.

gatrellc

I finally used the phone help option.  They had me uninstall TurboTax 2020, and reinstall it.  After doing that, I was able to do the updates.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are having issues and need assistance, please contact customer support. Please see the Customer Support phone number hereIf you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Same EXACT frustration here as well.  Support tells me that this years' tax code is causing issues and an update is pending. I've got little confidence that the code problems are actually tax issues....

If I uninstall and reinstall the program will I lose all the work that I put into my taxes?

@chrishuntey wrote:

If I uninstall and reinstall the program will I lose all the work that I put into my taxes?

No.  The tax data file for your tax return is not in the same directory on your computer as the TurboTax program.

The tax data file and any saved PDF's of the tax returns are stored by default in Documents and in the TurboTax folder.

jimjcsu

my windows -10 PC cannot read TurboTax 2020 CD.

jimjcsu

I want to discuss with a person using my Mobile Phone [phone number removed].

jimjcsu

Please call my Mobile Phone [phone number removed].

Thank you.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please use the following link to contact us.

Let the agent know what is happening and they will be able to assist you. 

Contact TurboTax 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies