turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lcruz8141

I have been rejected 4 time, because I need an IP PIN, my wife and myself don't have IP PIN #. what can I do? I call the IRS and they said that we don't need an IP PIN #.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

I have been rejected 4 time, because I need an IP PIN, my wife and myself don't have IP PIN #. what can I do? I call the IRS and they said that we don't need an IP PIN #.

The IRS IP PIN is a 6-digit number assigned to eligible taxpayers to help prevent the misuse of their Social Security number on fraudulent federal income tax returns.

An IP PIN helps us verify a taxpayer’s identity and accept their electronic or paper tax return. When you have an IP PIN, it prevents someone else from filing a tax return with your SSN.

If a return is e-filed with your SSN and an incorrect or missing IP PIN, our system will reject it until you submit it with the correct IP PIN or you file on paper. If the same conditions occur on a paper filed return, we will delay its processing and any refund you may be due for your protection while we determine if it’s yours. You're eligible for an IP PIN if:

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/the-identity-protection-pin-ip-pin

Why did I receive an IP PIN?

Our records show you were previously the victim of identity theft; or you were identified by the IRS as a possible victim of tax-related identity theft; or you participated in the pilot program for residents of Florida, Georgia or the District of Columbia. We use this IP PIN to authenticate your identity when you file current and delinquent form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ or 1040 PR/SS tax returns during the current calendar year.

Please see below for more information:

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-identity-protect...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm still unable to file because I don't have my IPPin and cannot verify my identity online due to IRS saying the info I submit doesn't match what they have on file. No one to speak with over the phone and paper returns aren't being processed at this time. So how can I get my stimulus that I'm needing so very badly? Non filers rejects the e-file due to no pin. They should change that to where identity theft victims are at least able to submit banking information to receive stimulus payments. It's not fair.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, the IRS would be the only agency that can assist you with this. 

See the following link as there is a website you can also use to obtain your IP PIN.

Obtaining your 6-digit IP PIN

Use the link below to register for the stimulus payment.  Be sure to use the correct link depending upon whether you are a tax return filer or non-filer.

IRS Stimulus payment registration portal

So as an Identity theft victim, in fairness, you want the IRS to let the thief enter some bank account for your stimulus to be deposited to. 

beaman51
Returning Member

I have filed 10 TurboTax on line for the last 10 years? why are you not sending my 6  digit confrence number?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are referring to the 6 digit IRS IP Pin number, here is information regarding how to get your IRS IP PIN.

Happened to me the past several years... saying I need an IP PIN but I never got one everytime.. I used the get ip pin tool about a hundred times now and apparently I still don't even exist despite not changing any info from my paper taxes

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

What is the Rejection Code? Does it say IP PIN or Self-Select PIN?

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for IP PIN Rejections, TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND...

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for Self-Select PIN rejections, TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND-031-04 ...

Texie61

My wife and do not have pin number.  what do we do? do I need  pin if I change to paper bill and have overpayment returned by check?

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If you don't have an IP PIN and are being prompted for one then yes you'll need to mail in your tax return which does not require an IP PIN number. You can still choose to have your refund sent to you by either direct deposit or be mailed to you via a check in the mail. See this on how to enter your direct deposit information in TurboTax: Where do I enter my bank's routing or account number?

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information: TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND-181-01: The Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) for ...

@Texie61

beaman51
Returning Member

I need my 2020 tax refund for Federal and State? Why are Turbo Tax and IRS REJECTING MY REFUND?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Are you getting a specific error message when you try to electronically file?  

Please see the link below to help you determine what is going on.  

How to fix a rejected return

If after trying the suggestions above you are still not able to e-file, you can still print the returns out and mail them in instead.

Switch from E-file to mail

@beaman51

Wow I'm sorry youre going thru that bs! I know it sucks cuz my situation is identical to yours. Can't find this ip pin they say is mine anywhere and I call and call to usually not even get an answer or when I do they transfer me so fast saying its someone else i should be talking to then they wont answer or that person wont help either. Its crazy! I also have not received one stimulus and my tax return just gets rejected. I tried going up to the irs they turned me away said call to make an appointment but theyre two months out on appointments so yeah I know your frustration!!! Hopefully somehow we get it all figured out soon!

jaquefranque
Returning Member

If anyone is still having this issue, click here:

GET AN IDENTITY PROTECTION PIN

This is by far the easiest way to get an IP PIN, and it's not much hassle. Just follow the steps.

-There is no charge, you just have to make an account with ID.me, which is a service that proves identification online.

-You will then need a device with a camera (either a smartphone or webcam) to provide pictures of either your Driver's License, State ID, Passport, or some other form of identification. Make sure to have front and back pictures ready for most forms of ID.

-You'll use the same device (or a different one if you're so inclined) to take a "video selfie" (basically stare into a weird color-changing screen, while shifting your face ever so slightly)

-The whole process took me like half an hour.

From what I gather, this may be a thing the IRS are slowly moving towards in order to reduce tax fraud, though it woulda been nice to get a heads-up, because some people (myself included) were "signed up" for this without our knowledge, or notice.

Good Luck on your future tax endeavors!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies