Intuit
,Created with Sketch.10851 helpful votes

How do I save my 2018 TurboTax Online return as a tax data file?

Unlike a PDF copy, your tax data file (.tax file) can be opened, read, and edited in the TurboTax CD/Download software. We'll automatically save your 2018 online return in both .tax and PDF formats once you file your return or when TurboTax Online shuts down in mid-October, whichever comes first.

Instructions

You can save your 2018 online return anytime as a .tax file, for example if you need to switch your preparation method from online to the TurboTax CD/Download software.

1. Sign in and select Take me to my return if you're not already in your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools > Tools from the menu on the left (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the menu).
  3. In the Tools Center pop-up, select Save your 2018 return to your computer.
  4. The file will download with the name taxReturn.tax2018.
  5. (Optional) Locate the downloaded file and change the default filename to something more recognizable, for example JohnDoeTaxReturn.tax2018 (just make sure you don't change the filename extension to the right of the dot).

Your online return has now been saved in a format can be opened in the TurboTax software.

If you make any changes to your Online return after saving your tax data file, repeat these steps to ensure that your tax file stays synched-up with your online tax return.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Ready to Try TurboTax?

Returning? Sign in