turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ebalistr

I do not see my IP PIN on the return. 1) Can I, somehow, manually enter my PIN? 2) If I have a PIN from the IRS do I have to mail my return or is e-file still OK?

The IRS sent me a pin, but Turbo Tax did not ask for it. At the stage of printing I looked at my return and saw the box for my PIN. I went back through the instructions and entered my pin. Back at the filing tab I still do not see my PIN on the return. Two questions: 1) Can I, somehow, manually enter my PIN? 2) If I have a PIN from the IRS do I have to mail my return or is e-file still OK?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I do not see my IP PIN on the return. 1) Can I, somehow, manually enter my PIN? 2) If I have a PIN from the IRS do I have to mail my return or is e-file still OK?

If you manually entered the IP PIN in the software before e-filing, it is included in that e-filed return that will be sent to the IRS. However, for additional security the IP PIN does not appear on printed or PDF copies of returns in order to protect your information. You should be able to e-file with it, if not, the system will tell you that you have to mail the return. 

And if you have to print and mail your returns, you'll need to write in the IP PIN by hand in the space provided on the 1040 before sending it in, once you print the return. It will not show up if you enter and then print the return. 

• Only the primary taxpayer listed first on the tax return needs to enter their IP PIN.
  • Enter your IP PIN in the box marked ‘Identity Protection PIN’ located within the ‘Sign Here’ section of your tax return.
Related Topics:

View solution in original post

9 Replies

If you manually entered the IP PIN in the software before e-filing, it is included in that e-filed return that will be sent to the IRS. However, for additional security the IP PIN does not appear on printed or PDF copies of returns in order to protect your information. You should be able to e-file with it, if not, the system will tell you that you have to mail the return. 

And if you have to print and mail your returns, you'll need to write in the IP PIN by hand in the space provided on the 1040 before sending it in, once you print the return. It will not show up if you enter and then print the return. 

• Only the primary taxpayer listed first on the tax return needs to enter their IP PIN.
  • Enter your IP PIN in the box marked ‘Identity Protection PIN’ located within the ‘Sign Here’ section of your tax return.
Related Topics:

James Battles
Returning Member

Where is my PIN located on federal forms?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you referring to the Self Select 5 digit pin number? If so, that is a number you selected and is not stored in TurboTax or printed on your forms. 
If you don't remember the one you chose last year you can create a new one to use.
Please see the TurboTax FAQ: What is the difference between the five-digit Self-Select PIN I created last year and my Self-Select... for more information.

@James Battles

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
James Battles
Returning Member

I tried adding the 5 digit IPN and it told me it need to be 6 digits.  I also received a rejection message

IND-032-04 stating that spouse  prior year PIN or spouse prior year AGI amount in the return header must match E-file Database.  I checked and it did match.  We had to file an amended 2019 return.  Could this be the problem?

James Battles

When you filed the 2019 amended return, the AGI on the database  was set back to zero.  So use zero for the 2020 AGI question.  If you have an identify protection pin from the IRS, here is how to enter it in TurboTax.

In TurboTax search for IP PIN.  Must be all capital letters with space after IP.  Then jump to IP PIN.  This is different from the five digit pin that you self select.  

In filing my 2020  return with Efile I used my "self service" 5 digit pin. The IRS rejected it. The TT email said I need a 6 digit IP PIN, but did not say how to get it. I searched Bing and the IRS site for IP PIN popped up.  I have a IRS account (easy  to set one up) and logged.  Found the site to request a IP PIN. I got one with an email and saved it to my PC.  Went back to TT and started the filing process. When it asked for my IP PIN I entered my new 6 digit IP PIN. (if married spouse does not need one). I filed and got email from TT that IRS accepted my return. A bit latter, TT says CA accepted my state return.  CA will not accept a EFile return unless IRS accepts first.  Not sure but I think you need a new IP PIN every year. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Help Article What's an IP PIN? Do I need one? - TurboTax for details about the IP PIN and how to obtain it.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jonespet

You should be mailed a new IP PIN every year.  we get one every year and it's different each year.  We've been getting them for over 10 years since our amended return was delivered by FedEx to a private address in Philadelphia instead of the IRS in Philadelphia.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for instructions on how to get your 6 digit IP PIN:

How do I get my 6-digit IP PIN?

@dcortez

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies