turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Navy Guy

Irs keeps rejecting my file saying my birthday is wrong. it is right!!!

I had a similar problem with my 97-year-old mother-in-law.  Her efile was rejected by IRS due to a birth date error.  Called IRS and found out that the birth date they had on file was incorrect.  Nothing they can do to override.  They told me to call SSA.  My first call to the local SSA confirmed that all their data was correct.  Hmmmm...what to do?  I called local SSA a second time and talked with an agent who knew the system well.  Turns out there are 2 SSA files for people who got social security cards prior to the 1960s.  The primary one which everyone has and a secondary one which the older folks only have.  It is from the second file that the IRS gets its updates!  Sure enough, the second file had the wrong birthdate.  To fix this I had to fill out an application for a new SS card then annotate at the top to have them update the corrected birthdate and to update the IRS database.  The agent input the data, selected the update the IRS function, and pressto all is good now!

The problem is you can't create an account with SSA online to check your info if your info doesn't match. I just tried to do this and it would let me create an account because it says my info doesn't match, because my birthdate doesn't match what they have. you can't even create an account without the birthdate they have. I called SSA and they couldn't tell me what information didn't match they just said they couldnt access it because it didn't match and told me to call me local SSA and I might have to get a new SS card. Ive done my taxes for years. this is the first year this has happened. why would my info all of a sudden not match their records? SSA lady said its not a sign of identity theft and gave me no answer as to how this could happen

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Did you double-check that your birthday and social security number were entered correctly in the Personal Info section of TurboTax? 

@averisunflower

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

my returns keeps being rejected says my birhday is wrong dont match the irs   but my birthday is correct on my taxes  what to do ?????

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Check with the Social Security Administration -- this is where the IRS gets their information from.

In the meantime, you will have to print and  mail your return.

@kindteresa

I finally contacted the SSA. It is wrong. I gotta mail a form, my birth certificate and passport to get it corrected. I mailed in my return week of March 8th, 2021 and still haven't gotten refund yet. I can't get any information as to if they got it or what. Very frustrating.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

I do understand your frustration but don't think you are alone.  This has been a year.  Sorry that you are having an issue with the IRS.  TurboTax does not issue refunds or Stimulus checks.  TurboTax is a tax preparation platform.  If you have submitted your return to the IRS, then TurboTax is out of the picture.  IRS is forbidden to discuss your information with TurboTax because of privacy laws.  There could be several reasons why you have not received your Stimulus or refund.

IRS is very busy now with all of the added work of Stimulus checks, CARES Act changes, issuing refunds, processing amendments, and still doing the normal everyday routine with half the staff because of the Pandemic

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do I need to contact the irs to get my d.o.b straight?

You need to contact SSA to fix it, but you should still mail in your tax return because it takes a while to fix. 

chuckywang
Returning Member

Did this SSA birthday validation get added to the e-file process recently? If so, what year did it get added?

How can I prove my birthday

It won’t let me create a account without my correct info supposedly... but the info They have is incorrect because I’m entering everything correct 

Leo W

I am doing my kids returns on turbo Tax free 2020 and 2021 premier.  My oldest son 2020 taxes was rejected because of wrong birthdate His birthdate is correct  I ended up giving his tax return to our tax guy who does my wife's and mine. He had no problem sending it in e-file. Fast forward to 2021 taxes using turbo tax premier and again the same issue I am having with my oldest son birthdate. I probably will have to mail his in. I firmly believe its a flaw in turbo tax not the IRS  for his taxes being rejected for wrong birthdate. The reason I am using Turbo Tax was to save on the cost that account would charge for the kids.  Guess it would have  been better to paid him than to deal with a flawed software

Sorry, but the IRS gets the DOB from the SSA files, and it can be wrong there.  One of my family member's date was wrong at SSA, and it turned out that his file there had been mixed up with someone else with a similar name.

So I had the same exact problem with my birthdate last year, So I went with an expert and he was able to e-file. I also had to call SSA office and double check my birthdate with them and they had it in wrong. Your son has to go to his local SSA office to fix his date of birth. He will be able to e-file next year with no issues. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies