turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Lsanchez

How do i switch from free file to the paid version of TurboTax. it is saying I no longer qualify and is not letting me procced after inputting most of my information.

I followed this process and Turbo asked me to confirm I wanted to use the paid version instead of the Free one, after saying yes, it took me back to the free version!  Now what??

How do i switch from free file to the paid version of TurboTax. it is saying I no longer qualify and is not letting me procced after inputting most of my information.

@Lsanchez wrote:

I followed this process and Turbo asked me to confirm I wanted to use the paid version instead of the Free one, after saying yes, it took me back to the free version!  Now what??

Perhaps you may not have cleaned up the browser cache completely and deleted cookies.  Or maybe you tried to log in too early.   Do not log in until you get to the specific step I mention below.    You can try going through the steps below again using that browser, or you can try using a different browser, but be sure to clean it up first as mentioned below.

So try again, following these steps exactly.   Print them out so you can follow them point by point. 

• First log out of all Intuit accounts. 
  • Delete your browser Internet cache and any Intuit-related cookies. 
  • Close your browser and reopen it.  Or consider trying a different browser as I mentioned above, also with its cache and cookies cleaned up.
  • Go to this specific product comparison page:   https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/
  • When you arrive there, do NOT sign in yet.
  • Choose the product you want like you hadn't even started a return before, and click on the blue button that says "Start for Free".
  • It will ask how you did your taxes last year.  Say "TurboTax", and then it will ask you to sign in.
  • When you log in, it may recognize you were using the IRS Free File Program and should ask you if you want to switch to a TurboTax commercial product and not use the IRS Free File Program anymore.   Say "yes".
  • Hopefully, that will put you back in regular Online TurboTax while keeping your originally-entered info.

These tips did work. I noticed it took about 20-30 seconds before a new popup window offering you to upgrade did appear. So be a bit patient with it, and it should take you through to the upgrade.

NYCGIRL

The Turbo Tax Customer agent had me sign out of Free File.

Go to this link.  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

I clicked on the upgraded product I needed - Self-Employed.

Then I signed in again with my Free File User and Password.

I went back into my return. "Upgrade" was still not in the menu.

I got into  my Federal return . For example, I clicked on "Work on Wages"  just to get into my return.

Then a Window PopUp said "Welcome Back" "We See You Switched to Turbo-Tax Self-Employed"

T. T asks if you want to switch out of Free File?

I clicked on Switch to Self Employed out of Free File.

Then My State return appeared, too.  The elusive Upgrade Button was now in the menu.

At this point, one does not need to upgrade because you are in the upgraded product.

I hope this is clear.  Thank you to the TT agent in Georgia for her help

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Currently (July 2020), the ability to upgrade from within the IRS Free File version of TurboTax (which differs from the similarly named TurboTax Free edition) available on our commercial site is not available. 

A new user name and password must be created at TurboTax.com to switch to a paid version of the program.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
agme

It worked! Thanks!

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Fantastic - Glad to hear it!  @agme

Sara071

While on the page with the error for free irs version, copy and paste this into the url address bar:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

from there, select the deluxe vsn at bottom, check off how you filed last year, and you will be prompted to switch back.

You may have to do this over a few times to get back to Deluxe.

@easytouse2020 

Your comment is blank, but since you are posting in this thread I assume your question is the same topic.

If you need to switch from the TurboTax IRS Free File Program back to paid Online TurboTax, it's possible to do that this year.   Here are the steps, which allow you to keep the same account and your already-entered data:

• First log out of all Intuit accounts. 
  • Close your browser and reopen it.
  • Copy this link so you can go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/
  • When you arrive there, do NOT sign in yet.
  • Choose the product you want like you hadn't even started a return before, and click on "Start for Free".
  • It will ask how you did your taxes last year.  Say "TurboTax", and then it will ask you to sign in.
  • When you log in, it may recognize you were using the IRS Free File Program and should ask you if you want to switch to a TurboTax commercial product and not use the IRS Free File Program anymore.   Say "yes".
  • Hopefully, that will put you back in regular Online TurboTax while keeping your originally-entered info.
  • If it doesn't, try the steps again, and if still unsuccessful, try using a different browser and following the steps above.
Geeleslie

Do not use the upgrade feature.  I used it and it applied the "Deluxe" version.  I do not have rental properties, or out of country business or taxes.  This version cost $90 - even if you have a savings code, its $70 for a version that I will never use half of it - Moreover, I cannot select premier because it is shady-oops shaded out...  Probably have to start over again.  

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@Geeleslie If you haven't paid already, you can Clear and Start Over if you do not wish to use TurboTax Deluxe. 

thatjesus

no upgrade link available

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Did you try the steps that Champion (Superuser) mesquitebean listed above?

• First log out of all Intuit accounts. 
  • Close your browser and reopen it.  Or consider trying a different browser as I mentioned above, also with its cache and cookies cleaned up.
  • Go to this specific product comparison page:   https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/
  • When you arrive there, do NOT sign in yet.
  • Choose the product you want like you hadn't even started a return before, and click on the blue button that says "Start for Free".
  • It will ask how you did your taxes last year.  Say "TurboTax", and then it will ask you to sign in.

This worked! Thank you!!!!

how do is switch from free file to the paid version if i don't qualify

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies