turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I import 2018 tax return from TurboTax online to 2019 TurboTax desktop

I've read and searched for awhile but can't find a satisfactory set of instructions to handle this issue.  Last year I successfully filed my taxes using TurboTax online -- 2018 return.  This year I purchased the 2019 TurboTax Premier so I could install the software on my Windows computer.  My hope was to make use of all of my details from the previous year including a list of 1099s and rental property info like depreciation, etc.  Though I have connected the desktop software to my Intuit account it doesn't seem to know much detail about my previous year's return.  I tried importing the .pdf file but that didn't seem to do much.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  Entering all the information again seems to negate the benefit of using the software from the same company.  I read that the conversion doesn't help with depreciation and other computations but I don't see ANY benefit so far.  I hope the answer isn't to do the entire return on the TurboTax online only to convert it, somehow, into the desktop installed Premier version.    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You download the tax data file from the 2018 online edition to your computer.  Then start a New Tax Return with the 2019 program, browse to the location you downloaded the 2018 tax data file so it can transfer to the 2019 tax return.  The 2018 tax data file will have a file extension of .tax2018

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download .tax file

View solution in original post

34 Replies

You download the tax data file from the 2018 online edition to your computer.  Then start a New Tax Return with the 2019 program, browse to the location you downloaded the 2018 tax data file so it can transfer to the 2019 tax return.  The 2018 tax data file will have a file extension of .tax2018

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download .tax file

I got the file downloaded.  I suspect this is the right way to do what I asked.  As a follow-up...is there a way to import this file into a 2019 return that has already been started?  

@bill_b_kinney wrote:

I got the file downloaded.  I suspect this is the right way to do what I asked.  As a follow-up...is there a way to import this file into a 2019 return that has already been started?  

No, the file cannot be transferred to a 2019 tax return that has already been started.  Only to a new tax return.

Click on the File tab on the top left of the screen.  Click on New Tax Return.

Naved Akhtar
Returning Member

I would like to talk to a representative

@Naved Akhtar wrote:

I would like to talk to a representative

See this TurboTax support FAQ on how to contact Support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489

CJB-1959

I have my filed my taxes with Turbo Tax for multiple years.   When I click on "Show" none of my returns show up and it says "You haven't filed your taxes with TurboTax yet."

I must have deleted my 2018 Turbo Tax file so I am looking at options to retrieve/import the 2018 data.

Did you use Online to file 2018?  That's common to end up with multiple accounts. First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used
https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

If you used the Desktop CD/Download program then the only copy is on your computer and not saved or stored online.

And wait for an email that may take up to 45 days to process.  What a load of garbage.  It's my data that I want to use on Turbo Tax desktop and i have to wait to get it?  Why isn't there a button that asks "Did you use Turbo Tax online last year?"  and then one would log in and have the two version sync.  But nooooo, you make us jump through hoops and wait.  If I have to wait or start over from scratch why would I use Turbo Tax?  If my file isn't here tomorrow you will have lost a 10 year customer.  Get smart!

@1dkavanaugh 

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the 2018 and Click on Download .tax file

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately that file only gets the "top" part of your file, name address, SS the general filing information.  At least with mine it did not bring any of my past history, the stuff I liked about TT online: past donations, past rental property, past W2 providers, all the stuff that makes using a software product useful year to year.  From what I read when I was at that link the file I need will be appended 2018tax and "may take up to 45 days" to generate.

But again, thank you for your reply, it's nice to know someone is listening and trying to help, thank you.

@1dkavanaugh wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately that file only gets the "top" part of your file, name address, SS the general filing information.  At least with mine it did not bring any of my past history, the stuff I liked about TT online: past donations, past rental property, past W2 providers, all the stuff that makes using a software product useful year to year.  From what I read when I was at that link the file I need will be appended 2018tax and "may take up to 45 days" to generate.

But again, thank you for your reply, it's nice to know someone is listening and trying to help, thank you.

It should have brought all of that information over in the tax data file.  Do you have more than one User ID and maybe used a different ID for the 2018 tax return that was filed?

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the user ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

Well I'll be 🙂  Thank you DoninGA this worked.  I would suggest one more step: I had to "continue" to get to the "Your tax returns & documents" at the bottom and then I had to exercise patience and look past the first opportunity to "download" your returns.  

So thank you very much!  Again, it is nice to know that people are listening and being patient with people like myself.  I can now continue the joy of tax prep without having to input all that...stuff again 🙂

A BIG THANK YOU!!! 

CJB-1959

In 2018, I filed my taxes married filing jointly for the first time after filing as a single person for many years. None of my previous returns - including the 2018 version that I filed electronically with the IRS is showing up when I try the various options including the pdf import which only returns the personal information. Help! 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@CJB-1959 You download the tax data file from the 2018 online edition to your computer.  Then start a New Tax Return with the 2019 program, browse to the location you downloaded the 2018 tax data file so it can transfer to the 2019 tax return.  The 2018 tax data file will have a file extension of .tax2018

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download .tax file

"DoninGA Level 15"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies