Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sutherlandws
Returning Member

How do I handle the following Error 70001 "TurboTax is already running under another account. Switch users and run TurboTax from the other account to continue."

When I hit OK, TT launch is aborted.  I don't have another account, so not sure what to do.  Was in the middle of my return.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

How do I handle the following Error 70001 "TurboTax is already running under another account. Switch users and run TurboTax from the other account to continue."

Try clearing your cookies and/or switch browsers.   And if you are using Windows make sure there is no uninstalled OS update ... run the updater and reboot the computer at least 3 times. 

"switch users"  when using the online version could mean you have the program running  under a different user like the administrator ... check your users to close them. 

sutherlandws
Returning Member

• I am using TT on my PC via an installer.  I am not using am online version or a browser.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled TT with no effect.   I have logged out of my PC, created a new account,  logged in under that account,  and tried running TT again... same error.  Ask this started after I was running TT and,  after completing one of the income sections,  TT stopped responding.   I closed TT and reopened it.  This worked the first time TT froze.   The second time,  I got the aforementioned error. 
JohnB49

I struggled with this problem for a week before I I stumbled on a work-around. Click on the File Explorer icon on the bottom of your Windows screen.  In the search field in the upper right, type Turbotax. With luck, that search will show the Turbotax icon on the top of the responses.  When I click on that, I'm in Turbotax with my file open. (Getting into Turbotax this way didn't fix the original problem. This work-around is still the only way I can get into Turbotax.)

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for providing that workaround. If you still need assistance, please contact customer support through the link below. 

What is the TurboTax phone number? - Intuit      

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
M651

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

To resolve error 70001, please follow the instructions in the TurboTax FAQ below:

Error Code 70001 when using TurboTax Desktop

@M651 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies