Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get TurboTax to give me the desktop version for free since I paid for the online version which is no longer supported?

I used online turbotax to file my 2022 tax returns.  They were rejected.  When I tried to refile, turbotax online was no longer supporting 2022 tax returns.  That is fine.  They offer a desktop version as a workaround.  That is fine too.  However, they want me to pay for the desktop version now, even though I paid for the online version.  That is not fair.  How do request that turbotax provide the desktop version without double charging me?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I get TurboTax to give me the desktop version for free since I paid for the online version which is no longer supported?

@sbpatel2009-gmai wrote:

🙂 Yes, I meant 2021.  Getting ahead of myself.  Your response seems to make sense.  I'll give it a shot.  Thanks!

I did pay with credit card.  I have had no luck with getting in touch with customer support staff, either by chat or by phone (phone just points me back to chat).  

Do you know why the 2021 tax return was rejected?  Most 2021 tax returns were rejected by the IRS for the 2020 AGI entered on the 2021 return.  The 2020 AGI is not needed on a mailed tax return.

TurboTax would have sent you an email for the rejected tax return.  Look in your email account and check out the junk or spam boxes if the TurboTax email is not shown in your email account.

If rejected for the 2020 AGI there is no need to go through the hassle of contacting TurboTax support get a 2021 desktop installation file sent to your download account, download and install the 2021 software on your computer and then downloading the 2021 tax data file from the online return.

Just download the PDF of the 2021 return.  Print, sign and date the Form 1040 on page 2 of the form.  Include with the 1040 any other forms and/or schedules included in the PDF which have an Attachment Sequence Number located in the upper right corner of the form and/or schedules.   Worksheets and information only pages are NOT sent with the mailed return.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You do not need the 2021 TurboTax desktop edition if you completed the 2021 tax return using the online editions and the e-filed 2021 tax return was rejected by the IRS.  You only need to print and mail the 2021 tax return.

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Start the 2022 online tax return by entering some personal information then click on Tax Home on the left side of the screen.

On the Tax Home webpage -

Scroll down to the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

A 2021 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to this IRS website for mailing addresses - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

OK ... you mean the 2021 program since NO 2022 returns have been filed yet.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for completing a tax return originally started with the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/printers-printing/finish-prior-year-retu...

If you paid for the TurboTax 2021 online edition with a credit card you will need to contact TurboTax support  so they can push a 2021 installation file to your download account.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for contacting support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

🙂 Yes, I meant 2021.  Getting ahead of myself.  Your response seems to make sense.  I'll give it a shot.  Thanks!

I did pay with credit card.  I have had no luck with getting in touch with customer support staff, either by chat or by phone (phone just points me back to chat).  

@sbpatel2009-gmai wrote:

Do you know why the 2021 tax return was rejected?  Most 2021 tax returns were rejected by the IRS for the 2020 AGI entered on the 2021 return.  The 2020 AGI is not needed on a mailed tax return.

TurboTax would have sent you an email for the rejected tax return.  Look in your email account and check out the junk or spam boxes if the TurboTax email is not shown in your email account.

If rejected for the 2020 AGI there is no need to go through the hassle of contacting TurboTax support get a 2021 desktop installation file sent to your download account, download and install the 2021 software on your computer and then downloading the 2021 tax data file from the online return.

Just download the PDF of the 2021 return.  Print, sign and date the Form 1040 on page 2 of the form.  Include with the 1040 any other forms and/or schedules included in the PDF which have an Attachment Sequence Number located in the upper right corner of the form and/or schedules.   Worksheets and information only pages are NOT sent with the mailed return.

So the short story is that I filed by 2020 taxes by mail and then shortly after that I filed my 2021 taxes online.  The 2021 taxes were rejected.  You are right about the Turbotax mail.  It gave the message:  "IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records."

I like the idea of just printing my 2021 taxes and mailing them off.  I guess I was just thinking that I could double check my work one last time if I had TurboTax software, but it is time to get it out of the way.

You are right about the hassle though.  No one wants that.  Thanks!  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies