Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter W-2 for my son?

my son got $500 from his part-time job at a restraurant. He is not 18 yet. So he is still our dependent. I can't find a way to enter this W-2 for him. Where/how should I report this $500?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@tianwaifeixian He does not get back anything from boxes 4 or 6.   The only boxes he could get a refund from are boxes 2 or 17 on his W-2.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

9 Replies

You don't include their income on your return. It would only go on their return if they are required to file one.  To file a separate return for your dependent you need to set up a new account.  Online is only good for one return per account.  You can use the same email address for 5 accounts.

How to start a new online return

Https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894512-how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-online 

Be sure on their return they check the box that says they can be claimed on someone else’s return.  If their only income is W2 and under 12,950 they do not have to file a return except to get back any withholding taken out.

Filing requirements for a dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

to be honest if he only made 500 he dont have to file !

if he does not file a separate return, do I need to include this amount in my return? or just leave it alone for mine (this $500 won't be counted as our income on our return?)

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, you do not claim income your son earned (his W-2) on your tax return.  If that is the only income your son received then he may not need to file a federal return at all.  If the employer did withhold any federal tax (box 2), then you may want to file it for him to receive a refund.  Make sure that you indicate he is being claimed by someone else.

Also, state filing requirements vary greatly.  You should check your state site to see if a state return is required or if a state refund may be available. You can use the link below to get started.

@tianwaifeixian 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No do not claim his income . But if he files and claims himself you cannot claim him on your W2 and will not get his child tax credit if he under 17

Thank you! I checked his W2 --- there is no federal withheld. But there is SS tax withheld and medicare tax withheld. In that case, there is nothing he can claim back even if he file the return separately, right?

Yes he does not have to file

@tianwaifeixian He does not get back anything from boxes 4 or 6.   The only boxes he could get a refund from are boxes 2 or 17 on his W-2.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes, that is correct.  That indicates he had no income tax withheld so there is nothing to refund.  

If he has no other income he does not need to file a tax return.  Here are the requirements for a dependent to file a tax return from IRS Publication 501.

He must file a return if any of the following are true.  

1. His unearned income was more than $1,150.
  2. His earned income was more than $12,950.
  3. His gross income was more than the larger of:
  • $1,150, or
  • His earned income (up to $12,550) plus $400.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies