turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bbrown

How can I efile more than 3 state returns?

Do I need to purchase something else in order to efile more than 3 state returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

You can only e-file up to three different states for each federal return you prepare with the TurboTax CD/Download software. If using the software, any additional states must be paper-filed. With TurboTax Online, you may e-file up to five different states per federal return. Please see the FAQs below for more information.

How many state returns can I prepare in the TurboTax CD/Download software?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300044

How do I switch from TurboTax Online to the TurboTax software? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302260

Forgive me, but for lack of better words, this is really dumb. Why would online have more capabilities than the software itself? Either way you make money off people buying the states to file; what's the difference? Why put a limitation on the amount of states someone can file with the software? This

Forgive me, but for lack of better words, this is really dumb. Why would online have more capabilities than the software itself? Either way you make money off people buying the states to file; what's the difference? Why put a limitation on the amount of states someone can file with the software? This is a yearly inconvenience for some people.

Also, it's really disingenuous to charge $45 per state and allow someone to purchase, say, 5 states for filing within the software, without letting them know that the limit per return for filing is 3 states. On top of that, you only tell people when they're ready to file that to actually file each state return besides the home state is an additional $25. Why not just tell people it's $70 per additional state up front and let them realize they're being overcharged right away??

I understand that you're cornering the market on self-prepared taxes, and as a whole, the tax software is supposed to be this great tool that aims to save people money, but it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth when coupled with SHIESTY business practices. I truly question my loyalty to Intuit. You could save your customer service department many angry phone calls if you ameliorated these issues.

Totally agree here but clearly there are very few of us that need to file more than 3. states so we get screwed.  Core Turbotax is very good but unfortunately, customer"first" is not very important to the firm.  Too bad!

To echo the other replies, it's pretty strange that the CD/Download limit is lower, but why add a limit at all when you're charged per-state? I'm puzzled about statements like:

If you need to prepare returns in six or more states, consider the TurboTax CD/Download software instead. Although the software only lets you e-file up to three states per federal return, you can prepare and paper-file as many states as you want.

However, it seems like you cannot actually enter more than 3 states (see screenshot), so I'm not sure how the software is supposed to help prepare with more than 3 states:

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 1.13.44 AM.png

I would expect this screen to allow any number of states and later restrict only 3 for e-filing but instead you cannot input more than 3?

TurboTax is meant for an individual to file taxes for themselves and their family.  Most families do not live in more than five states.  Most  only need to file one state.  What happens is the people try to use it as professional tax perparers and start charging others to do their taxes, then using TurboTax to generate and e-file the returns.

To discourage that, the IRS limits the number of e-files an individual can send to five.  With online TurboTax, it does not matter, because you can only use an account for one person.  With desktop, it there were no limits on number of states downloadable and on number of e-files allowed, then a person could use it to prepare thousands of returns.  They would not be able to be responsible for everything that they were filing.

With professional software you can have ll the states and unlimited e-filing, but the IRS is assuming you know what you are doing and able to take responsibility for preparing many returns.

Ogen1

New York requires e-filing.  I am a non-resident of NY and have already used my 3 state e-files.  what now??  This is really stupid.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

The New York requirement for e-filing is waived when the software is not capable of e-filing.  If you have already e-filed three states, you will be able to mail in New York.  If you have not yet e-filed three states, then you may select one of the other states to be mailed in so that you may e-file New York instead.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
reyn0ldsj

Many of us do work and are taxed in more than 5 states in a year.

Also, Turbo Tax software only limits the individual to 3 state e-files.  When filing for other family members it allowed me to e file in other states that were different from the 3 states I personally e-filed in, therefore it does not stop someone from misusing Turbo Tax as you described.  So in my case it costs Intuit revenue and makes me have to go to the post office like an "animal."  :(

🙂

frethomas

Yes, and then when you try to purchase extra states, there are no end to the problems you will get when you try to download the additional states/forms.  Then three different customer service people later, no solution and you end up preparing using free forms from the state's website.  All this after being charged the fee for both the additional forms and for efiling. 

@ frethomas wrote:

Yes, and then when you try to purchase extra states, there are no end to the problems you will get when you try to download the additional states/forms.  Then three different customer service people later, no solution and you end up preparing using free forms from the state's website.  All this after being charged the fee for both the additional forms and for efiling. 

Sorry you had trouble.   Since you said you had problems when you "download additional state forms", I assume you are using desktop software (CD/download).  

"charged the fee for both the additional forms and for efiling."

You may be able to get a refund for at least your state issues.  This is a user community forum, but we can tell you how you can ask for a refund for any purchases that are still under the 60-day satisfaction guarantee.   Here's a link to the online refund request form:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-refunds/request-refund-turbotax-p...

Or you can phone TurboTax Support to ask for any refund.  If so, tell them you want to invoke the unconditional 60-day satisfaction guarantee.

FAQ:   TurboTax Satisfaction Guaranteed refund policy

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-account-billing/turbotax-satisfac...

File your federal return and pick 3 states.  Once you  submit file the federal return again and pick 3 different states ( or 1or 2 whatever you need). The Fed return will reject as it has already been filed  but the 3 new states will file.  At least that's what happened with me.  I'm not sure why Turbotax has this blocker - if they said pay more I think most/all of us will.  

So you were able to efile more than 3 states from the Desktop program?  Really?

In the Desktop program you can only efile up to 3 states for each federal return.  Some people need to file in more than one state.  The rest you will have to print and mail.  See

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901306-how-many-returns-can-i-e-file-in-the-turbotax-software

In the Online version you can efile 5 states for 1 federal

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1946014-how-many-times-can-i-e-file-using-turbotax-online

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies