turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Help!! Turbotax stopped working error message

@ Scott5774 wrote:

I am having the same problem. How can it be fixed. Help!!!!

Since you said "same problem", I'll assume you are using Windows 7 and have done a recent TurboTax program update.   This has been answered several times in this thread, but you may not have scrolled through the other comments.   This is the workaround that several users have reported success with:

Close TurboTax.

Then do not open Turbotax yet.  First, RIGHT CLICK on TurboTax icon.

In the popup click Properties.

Then click to open Compatibility tab.

Then place a checkmark next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:

and select Windows 7 from drop down menu.

Near the bottom of the box, place a checkmark next to "Run this program as an administrator"

Then click OK to save.

ADDENDUM:  Some users, mainly in another thread, have said they only had to make the compatibility selection, but didn't have to place a checkmark for "Run as administrator."  Perhaps it's due to how the program was installed initially (with/without privileges) or how their UAC (user access control) is configured.   So perhaps they already have administrator rights.

FAQ:  Administrator rights in TurboTax for Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/administrator-rights-in-windows-7-8-and-10/00...

thank you. I will try your fix!

Anyone running window's OS lower than Windows 10 is going to have issues and they are going to get worse over time.  Here is my suggestion.

Upgrade to windows 10 for free:

Windows 10 is still free to download. Here's how to get the upgrade

RIP Windows 7. If you haven't upgraded yet to Windows 10, follow these simple steps.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-windows-10-for-free-now-that-windows-7-is-dead/

good luck. 

Kenny20

Same problem.  I kept getting an "Unknown Hard Error" then it would shut down.  I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling to run the original CD version but it forced me to update the software and its the same problem.  Everything was fine until the update this afternoon (5/25/20).

@ Kenny20 wrote:

Same problem.  I kept getting an "Unknown Hard Error" then it would shut down.  I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling to run the original CD version but it forced me to update the software and its the same problem.  Everything was fine until the update this afternoon (5/25/20).

Since you said "same problem", I assume you are using Windows 7.

Close TurboTax.

That might resolve it for some, while others may have to take the additional next step below:

Some users, however, have said they have to also do the following in addition to the above:

Near the bottom of the box, place a checkmark next to "Run this program as an administrator"

Then click OK to save.

So you could try it without and with the "Run as administrator" if you wish.   I don't know why some do and some don't.   Maybe it has to do with the way it was installed (with or without administrator privilege), and perhaps folks who don't have to place the checkmark are using it in a Windows user account that has administrator privileges already.

Here's a FAQ about administrator rights in TurboTax.

FAQ:  Administrator rights in TurboTax for Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/administrator-rights-in-windows-7-8-and-10/01...

Kenny20

Thanks for the workaround!  I did have to re-enter my license code so thankfully I still had the mailer with the CD.  No more errors or crashing!

@ Kenny20 wrote:

Thanks for the workaround!  I did have to re-enter my license code so thankfully I still had the mailer with the CD.  No more errors or crashing!

You're welcome.  I revised the answer I gave you above to clarify part of it.  Some users in another similar thread have said they did not have to put the checkmark for "Run as administrator", while others have.  It may depend on how it was installed and if it is installed in a Windows user account that already has administrator privilege.    Anyway, as you'll see from my revised answer, one can try it both ways to see which is necessary for one's machine.

AFA

I am running into technical problems as well when I try to do the efile transmit.  It comes back as transmit failed and suggest I update TT in 24hrs. I did it with no help.  I am using a macbook pro running ios 10.13.6 High Sierra.  sent a couple of message to TT so no response yet.  I paid for the Turbo Tax Live Deluxe 2019.  I'll wait for a few more days to see if TT / Intuit does address this issue. 

How Bookwork
Returning Member

Has anyone gotten any answers to the crashing problem with Windows 7?   Sooooo frustrated!!

Read the rest of this thread to see how others have dealt with this issue ... worked for them so give it a try.

orducks001
Returning Member

When using the Home & Business product today (5/26/2020), there was an update performed. I had to reboot the software after complete; had to AGAIN re-activate the product with the activation code; and now I can not work in the software as I constantly receive "Turbotax stopped working" no matter what I click on. Did the update cause this issue or is something else going on?

This also is happening to me.

Odd since I already filed one tax return and have changed nothing on my computer.

Is Intuit aware of the problem and trying to fix it?

@orducks001  and @Wrench2002 

Did you browse through the other comments in this thread?

If you are using Windows 7 and have been affected by a recent update, other users have reported a workaround using the Compatibility settings in the Properties box.

Close TurboTax.

That might resolve it for some, while others may have to take the additional next step below:

Some users, however, have said they have to also do the following in addition to the above:

Then click OK to save.

So you could try it without and with the "Run as administrator" checkmarked if you wish.   I don't know why some do and some don't.

@4kudosdad 

This is a non-solution.

Any computer old enough to have been running Windows 7 is not going to have the horsepower to run  Windows 10, guaranteed.

Same thing here. The program worked fine and I was 80% done.  Saved my work came back a few days later and the program downloaded an "update".  Now the program is broken.  Tried a fresh install on a different computer same thing can't even get the personal info filled out. Crashes on the "continue" button of any module.

But wait, there's More!  I went to the website and filled out a service request and was told they would call me back.  They called me back and a recording told me to go to the website for help and hung up, nice touch.

Intuit is one of the most corrupt corporations on the planet.  I am using Windows 7... the most popular version of windows by far... but have to put up with Intuit nagging me about "upgrading" to windows 10?  Intuit doesn't give a crap what OS you use, they get paid by Microsoft to scare you into buying more software you don't need.

We need to dump this company, they are neck deep in the cesspool of government and banking.  Intuit used their credit card merchant services to punish businesses that don't agree with their world view (Operation Choke Point).  Intuit and HRBlock have spent tens of millions to keep our tax system as complicated as possible and to prevent the US government from offering a tax portal run by... the US government... (Free File act 2016, Taxpayer First Act) and they are  being sued for steering poor people away from the free service to paid services (LA County vs Inutuit HR Block).  I wasn't going to use these guys but H&R Block is even more corrupt and run by even bigger scumbags.  I will give TaxAct A try. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies