Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ph4ntt

Help!! Turbotax stopped working error message

This solution worked for me.  Using Windows 7, TurboTax 2019 worked fine until sometime after May 1, 2020.  An update after May 1 causes TurboTax 2019 to crash when entering the Interest and Dividend section.  Configuring the compatibility setting for Windows 7 seems to have resolved the issue.  No crashes since.  Thank you @mesquitebean !

Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft.  As you probably know this means the computer is no longer getting security updates from Microsoft to protect the user from hacking.  This is most likely why Intuit is no longer supporting turbotax on the windows 7 operating system.  

I am currently running windows 10 on an HP Pavilion i3 laptop with a windows 7 sticker on it.  It has 8 GB of memory.  It's not lightning fast but it works.  The performance bottleneck on the laptop is the hard drive.  So it may be possible to upgrade the mechanical hard drive to a solid state hard drive and breathe new life into this old machine (im guessing here).  But i understand it's probably better for most people to just buy a new laptop that has the horsepower to run windows 10.  But if the goal is to get your taxes done.  the upgrade to win 10 is worth a shot as its free.  Another thing to try is use the web based version of turbotax.  The federal return is free to do and submit electronically.  the state returns require a filing fee.  Many states have free electronic tax filing if your AGI is below a certain amount.  i wish you and everyone else struggling with this issue the best.

olms1696. 

did you ever contact Intuit?  are you working at this point? what was the result?

I received the same message and it gave error code25300. Happens when I am tryiny to add w-2s or 1099s.

"turbo tax has stopped working".

Did you browse through the other comments in this thread?

If you are using Windows 7 and have been affected by a recent update, other users have reported a workaround using the Compatibility settings in the Properties box.

Close TurboTax.

Then do not open Turbotax yet.  First, RIGHT CLICK on TurboTax icon.

In the popup click Properties.

Then click to open Compatibility tab.

Then place a checkmark next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:

and select Windows 7 from drop down menu.

That might resolve it for some, while others may have to take the additional next step below:

Some users, however, have said they have to also do the following in addition to the above:

Near the bottom of the box, place a checkmark next to "Run this program as an administrator"

Then click OK to save.

Prior to launching TT, right click your program icon and select "properties".

This has worked so far for me...

In the properties box, select the "compatibility" tab.

On the compatibility tab CHECK the box next to "run this program in compatibility mode"

Checking this box will open a drop down menu.  In the drop down menu select "Windows 7"

CHECK the box next to "run as administrator".

Then click "Apply"

Then click "OK"

Not sure why it let me so one tax filing and then stopped.

TurboTax has a FAQ with the recommended steps.

FAQ:  Windows 7 TurboTax 2019 Crashing during income entry

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/windows-7-turbotax-2019-crashing-during-income-ent...

Nzmgm6

I have the same error.

Nzmgm6

I sure hope there is a fi

@ Nzmgm6 wrote:

I have the same error.  I sure hope there is a fi

The workaround has been mentioned several times in this thread.  Did you scroll through all the comments in this thread?

The same workaround is present in this FAQ:

FAQ:  Windows 7 TurboTax 2019 Crashing during income entry

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/windows-7-turbotax-2019-crashing-during-income-ent...

Nzmgm6

Thank you so much!!!   Your suggestion totally worked and I am done!  Thank you!!!!!!!

Nzmgm6

Somebody else posted a workaround and it fixed it trying with widows 7.  I am copying below

Close TurboTax.

Nzmgm6

Thanks for starting this chain!!!  I was having the same issues and was so frustrated.  I don't know if you saw but one of the other users posted a workaround and it does th trick.  I copied below:

Close TurboTax.

Maparoni

I get to the "is last year's info correct with your children?" Say yes, get a CONGRATULATIONS message, click Next, and the program errors and restarts. So awesome...

I’m having the same problem with the error message and tt not working. I have windows 10

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies