Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TODAY!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filling out 1040-SR. Schedule 8812 was generated, and I don't know why.

I'm retired with no dependents, yet TTAX Premier created Schedule 8812.  Why?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Go back to My Info and see if you answered something incorrectly about supporting a dependent child.  Or did you have a dependent on your return in 2020?   Did you answer a question somewhere about the child tax credit---or about letter 6419?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

58 Replies

Go back to My Info and see if you answered something incorrectly about supporting a dependent child.  Or did you have a dependent on your return in 2020?   Did you answer a question somewhere about the child tax credit---or about letter 6419?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hi XMAS BABY

Went back to interview under PERSONAL INFO: DEPENDENTS.  Did not make a selection.  Chose NO and the 8812 went away.  

Thanks!

Interesting...in my Desktop Premier  (Single-Retired) and no dependents indicated.   Re-ran thru the Dependents (None) in the personal Info section too

The 8812 showed up in my Forms during the error check, when it wasn't in the list of forms before that final Federal review.  I deleted it in forms mode.

Went thru the Federal review /error check again, and it showed up again in my Forms Mode list.

Saved a PDF of tax return only, and it isn't included there, even if it's in my Forms list.

Tried again to delete it in Forms Mode, and this time going thru Fed review and error check, it showed up again in the error check and Erro showed up with the 8812....wanted me to put a value (how much received) into one of the boxes...I put a zero in it...and error check cleared.  8812 is still in the Forms Mode list, but again, is not in the PDF generated for filing-only copy.

Not sure it's critical...but puzzling.

I guess it's possible for a person to have had a child dependent for 2020, and received advanced payments during 2021 based on 2020 tax filing....and not having the as a child dependent to claim in 2021.   No obvious interview area to indicate that situation that I could find.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

EVERYONE will have to answer 2  questions in the Deductions & Credit section in regards to the  Child Tax Credit form 8812  even if you did not enter any dependents in the MY INFO section …  just follow the interview screens and don't jump ahead.  If you miss it then when you get to the REVIEW tab it will require you to go back.

Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>You and Your Family>Child Tax Credit

CTC question 1.jpgCTC question 2.jpg

Thanks Critter for this informative answer. 

There is no need for everyone to answer this question.   The program needs to be corrected.

Sorry but no ... even my professional program requires this issue to be addressed.   

The program cannot assume that just because you do not have a qualifying dependent on the 2021 return that you did not have one on the 2020 return  EVEN  if you filed with the TT program last year since you could have amended the return after you filed elsewhere.    So the program is playing is safe and requiring all users to answer these questions among some others that pop up every year.  If a user  skips sections this year they will be required to go back and comply with the interview requests.  

Only exception will be on dependent returns.  

Sorry, but it is a BUG when it requires me to go into child tax credits when I don’t have a child. the question has nothing to do with 2020, just 2021.

The problem was generated by the IRS, and Congress.

Sorry, but Critter is correct.....There are a ton of Separated or Divorced couples with a child that they alternate years on.....as such, you could have been the divorced Dad who had the child and got 6 mos of child tax credits during 2021 because the child was on his 2020 tax return, but isn't claiming a child now on the 2021 tax return.   Or the other way around

Ther just is no way to for the software to know that for sure....so it all gets jumbled up nutso with no way to deal with it cleanly.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Since TT offers the choice “I’ll enter it myself”, a little asterisk clue that says something to the effect even though you are 90 years old and no child tax situations you still need to go to the child tax credit section and tick a box “no”, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your response.

If we are offering suggestions on how to make this easier, I vote for adding it to the personal information section.  You already have to complete that section anyway.  Thanks to all that helped clarify this confusing change. 

Yeah ... nice suggestion however the programmers have not heard me for the last 10 years so I doubt they will start now especially since this is just for one tax year. 

Thanks - I think SkyQueen has the better approach for this or any other unusual one-off sorts of situations. We are really early in the tax season so seems to me when the crush of tax filing comes there will be huge confusion out there among those of us who skip the interview and would never know to go to that section. Also, not for me to say, but seems to me some of the fixes I read about might wind up creating problems with IRS with inclusion of schedule 8812 when it is not called for. But I will leave all that in your good hands.

Dr--Joe

I made no errors in personal info, had no dependent children in 2020, and could not find where I might have entered information about child tax credit

@Dr--Joe wrote:

I made no errors in personal info, had no dependent children in 2020, and could not find where I might have entered information about child tax credit

Enter a 0 (zero) when asked to enter a number on the Schedule 8812. This will correct the error and remove the Schedule 8812 from your tax return so that you can file the return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies