turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-file 2018 return in 2020

Hello

can I e-file my 2018 returns in 2020 or after October 15, 2019.

my friend files people return & said Yes he can file for me. is this correct? Does Enrolled agents or CPAs have special access? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

A 2018 tax return cannot be e-filed using the TurboTax personal editions for tax year 2018.

The Intuit Professional Series software can be used to e-file a prior year tax return.

No, not with Turbo Tax.  Maybe a professional CPA or tax place can efile prior years.  

I didn’t ask if Turbo tax can efile. I know it can’t. 

I asked if anyone can efile for prior years? Including professionals

Some professionals can depending on the program they use and if they were in business that tax year ... right now qualifying tax  pros can efile 2017, 2018 & 2019.

Do you mind, listing those softwares?

Thanks

You probably need to call around and find a local place.

First professional programs cannot be used by individuals ...  so if you call a local tax pro you can ask if they can efile 2018 any longer.   On the other hand you could mail in the return for the cost of postage.

Can't help myself---it is late August---2018 is already over a year late--and now you  are in a hurry to e-file it....?  You will have to PAY someone to prepare and e-file it for you if it is that important to e-file it now.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you are trying to file 2018 fast to get a Stimulus Check that won't work.  You will can claim any amount you didn't get on you 2020 return you file next year.  It is really based on your 2020 return.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@stech wrote:

Do you mind, listing those softwares?

There is no list like that. There are dozens of professional tax software products. Most (probably all) of them can e-file a past-year tax return. Ask any professional tax preparer.

Will I be able to get refund check direct deposit? 

@stech Yes, you can get your refund by direct deposit whether you e-file or mail the return.  You can indicate on your Form 1040 that you want direct deposit, and you can enter your banking account and routing number on the tax form.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies