Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Changing my dependent status on my return

I’m changing this because I’m not getting paid enough at all . & I have bills to pay . Like car notes, phone bills, light bill . & I can’t do that when my checks that I am getting back are $96

@myjiarice1268 You have added a comment---not a question---to a thread that already has quite a few posts from other users.  We do not know what you are referring to when you say you are "changing this."  Changing what?  What are you trying to do?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Are you trying to increase the federal/state refund by giving the IRS/state more in withholding for no reason ?  

Or are you trying to get a credit or stimulus check ? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Simple answer: With the tax law change, effective 2018, most students and others under 25 will get the same refund whether they claim themselves or not. The personal exemption has been eliminated and the standard deduction increased.  Amending will most likely result in no additional refund for you. 

But, as others have indicated, taxes aren't simple.  So a specific answer will depend on the details of your tax return. 

I’m having the same issue. Did you ever find out how to change the dependent problem? 

htomala

Not really: I understood it necessary for the dependent to file an amended return.  The IRS amended return form, however, does not make it clear how to change the very problem and, in my opinion, is an exceptionally unclear form, even by IRS standards.  So we muddled through and wrote a detailed explanatory note.   Still don't know how the service will respond.  

If this is for the stimulus checks  then there is nothing you can do to change a prior year return to generate the credit   ... the only fix now is to file a 2020 return to get any stimulus money you are eligible for that you did not get in advance.

If you have not received your payment by January 27, 2021 you will claim the credit by answering the 2 questions about the stimulus payments that will appear at the end of the TurboTax interview. 

The questions are in the section Federal Review.  

Once the information is entered you will see your refund increase or balance due decrease, and TurboTax will enter the amount of the credit on Line 30 of Form 1040 for you.

Getit12
Returning Member

No I spelled my daughter name wrong I left out a alphabet 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Getit12

You may need to amend your return. Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ on when to amend. When to amend

To amend your return, wait to see if your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS or state. If rejected, you can correct and re-send your return. If accepted you should wait until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or confirmation that any tax due has been paid. If you file an amended return while your first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time. In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment. Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

This Turbo Tax FAQ will show you how to amend your return. How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed. How to amend 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Daz1
Returning Member

[PII removed]

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

To change dependent information on your return please follow these steps:

TurboTax Online

1. Sign back into your return.
  2. Click on My Info in the black bar on the left of your screen.
  3. Continue to the screen Do you have children or support another person?
  4. Click the Yes radio button and click Continue
  5. If you have already entered information, click on the Edit icon (the pencil) in the section you want to review.

TurboTax CD/Download

1. Click the Personal Info tab and then click Continue.
  2. On the Personal Info Summary, click the Edit box in the Dependents section.
  3. Continue through the screens, entering or changing the information.

@Daz1

Getit12
Returning Member

I still need help cause I didnt get my deposit what I need to fix

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Your question is not clear.  Need more details.  If you have the social security number correct, the one letter missing from the name will not stop your refund.  However, if you have filed your return already, then you can amend it.  If you have not filed yet you can go into My Info and update the information.

Here is how to amend:

If your e-filed return was rejected (you got a specific reject code), go here instead.

Looking for a prior year return? Go here. 

You can amend e-filed returns if they've been accepted; paper-filed returns may be amended once they've been mailed.

If your e-file is still pending, you won't be able to make changes until the IRS either accepts or rejects it. Don't know your e-file status? Here's how to look it up.

Select your tax year for amending instructions:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

In the EasyStep view, you can modify the very first part of the Personal Info tab. It doesn't show that you'll be asked this question, but you will. This took me a while to find, but I hope it helps.

Hi Kathryn,

I read this post and have followed the links you provided and have determined that I do qualify as an independent. (I marked that someone can claim me as dependent for 2019, although they did not claim me). I am trying to change that someone could claim me for 2019. 

As I understand I must file an amended return through form 1040x. However, as far as I can tell I already claimed the standard deduction for singles on my 2019 return using the worksheet for line 9 on form 1040. (I made less than 12,200 for the year).   So I am wondering should I enter 12,200 on line 2 C. on 1040x  instead of my earned income reported for 2019?     

any help is appreciated

@KathrynG3 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies