turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cannot install Turbo Tax 2020.

I ordered Turbo Tax 2020 for Windows in October. My order confirmation says that it is available today (November 3). I downloaded the installation file (w_turbotax_1040_prm_xxxx.xxx.xxxx.exe), and when I tried to install it, I got an error message (Failed to extract archive). What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

125 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

if your os is windows 7 it won't install you need windows 10  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

if your system meets the minimum requirements contact support.

5am-5pm Pacific Time (8-8 Eastern) Monday - Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

"Today" may mean 11:59pm  and don't be surprised if it isn't later.  

Although the beta versions of the program come out early they are not fully functional until sometime late January at best and many forms including the state programs are not complete until late Feb or sometime in March.  The IRS efile start date is still TBD however in the last couple of years they have not opened until very late in January. 

I have Windows 10 with all the latest updates. Did I download the install file too soon?

The order confirmation email said November 3, but you're saying that maybe I downloaded it too soon. I didn't have this problem last year.  I understand that there are many updates during tax season. I just wanted to get a head start by entering something simple (stock sales) from this year. Helps to get started early. 🙂

I would wait a few days before downloading ... there are always issues the first few days and you know the program is only a beta version and many sections will not be fully operational.  

If you have the 2019 program that is what you should use to do speculations  and  you do not need to enter all the stock sales ... you can either import the 1099-B when it becomes available next year  or  use the summary entry option.  

I am having the same issue. Just a couple of seconds into the install, "Failed to extract archive" pops up.

I have tried all previous recommendations for solving this: deleting "temp" files, turning off virus protection/firewall, using selective startup, downloading from different browser, etc. Still get the same issue.

Discussions say that the downloaded file got corrupted. However, since I have tried downloading several different times in several different ways, can it be the actual file itself is corrupted to begin with?

Has anyone been able to download and install 2020 yet? If so, did you do anything special to get it to work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

what OS and version do you have?  also can not be installed on Ipad. 

gdrisco
Returning Member

Same install issue....I've been repeatedly trying to download and install deluxe 2020....new dell computer with windows 10. Download looks fine but when I "launch" it freezes at a blank activation screen. Have tried all of the troubleshooting remedies without success. Should I simply wait until Dec or Jan to try installing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

is your operating system version windows 10S? i ask because that means only apps purchased thru Microsoft Store can be installed. you cannot install 3rd party software . . .

You can switch Windows 10 out of S Mode to Windows 10, and then you can install whatever software you need to install, it is free to switch Windows 10 out of S Mode

Open the Settings App

Go to Update and Security - Activation

In the Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section, select Go to the Store. (If you also see an "Upgrade your edition of Windows" section, be careful not to click the "Go to the Store" link that appears there.)

On the Switch out of S mode (or similar) page that appears in the Microsoft Store, select the Get button.

After you see a confirmation message on the page, you'll be able to install apps from outside of the Microsoft Store.

@gdrisco 

this is a known issue - I also have a new computer.  I have been on the phone with TT numerous times over the past two weeks and as of Monday, they have engineers working on it.  

TT 2020 is not compatible with the new windows version 20h2 which is on all new computers shipped after about Oct 10, 2020.

the problem impacts both TT2019 and TT2020 - see this thread that I posted over the past week  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-activation-2020/01/1743923#M618852

I'm running Windows 10 20H2, OS build 19042.685.  Downloaded TT 2020 file version xxxx.080.0100. When starting the exe file there is an immediate error "failed to extract archive".  Here are steps taken to try to resolve this.  (1) downloaded with Firefox and MS Edge with firewall off; (2) opened exe file with virus scanner off; (3) ran SFC /Scannow to check system files; (4) restarted in selective mode; (5) went into Temp folder and found the TT installer file in a CKZ folder.  Tried to run this and got an error that it could not find the setup initialization file; (6) removed all files in Temp folder and ran exe file again  (7) ran exe file as Adminstrator. (8) turned off Windows Defender before running the exe file.

All every attempted fix, still got "failed to extract archive" error each time I ran the exe file.  The installer starts up and gets 2 progress bars then quits within a couple seconds. Could be something missing from the download file, or the zip/unzip method is not compatible with Windows 10, or there is a Path problem i.e. can't find the initialization file.  I know persistence pays off (not so far) but it looks like the problem is with TurboTax.

Anonymous
Not applicable

don't know if this will work but some say it will.  note your monitor's resolution.  change it to 800 X 600. try installing. if that works change the resolution back. 

@Anonymous - the problem described is different than I had.  I never had a problem with downloading or launching the software; I just couldn't get the activation screen to present itself correctly.  In this case, the software won't install onto the harddrive. 

@arthurland - did you try turning off any antivirus softwares? 

Tried running the downloaded exe file with Kaspersky anti-virus and anything that related to files or apps turned off.  Same result: failed to extract archive

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies