turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Activation 2019????

here is the dilemma: 

I recently purchased a new HP laptop (Windows 10) and went about re-installing TT2019.  

I am unable to get the software activated as the software freezes with a blue dot in the middle of the activation screen.  I can't even get to the screen where the code is typed in! 

I have been on the phone with TT for over two hours and no solution solves the problem.  I have only used 1 activation, so I am not at the 5 limit.  They suggest it's a communications setting on my side, but can't understand what that can be.  We have uninstalled and re-installed both deluxe and premier multiple times to no avail. 

I have turned off the firewalls and removed any virus software (norton, etc.) so that isn't the issue.   I loaded the software on my wife's laptop (about 2 years old also HP with Windows 10) and the activation screen comes up and I can activate the software on that machine, so it's not any settings on the modem in our home that is the root of the problem but it does point to either a communication setting on this new laptop or something in the versioning of HP or Windows software.

Anyone else with a new laptop that has had same issue? I am trying to resolve before the 2020 software becomes available and TT help lines are inundated with other callers as I suspect I will have the same issue with the 2020 software.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

65 Replies

Activation 2019????

Separate things to try  (If not already attempted)

1)  Check for windows 10 updates and make sure they are installed (and rebooted a couple times too)  Partially installed windows updates will stop TTX installation.   Since you've uninstalled/reinstalled a couple times, perhaps you've rebooted too, but have to check.

or

2) Did you try installing under Windows 8 compatibility  (this may require further explanation as to how-to)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Activation 2019????

I ran under  window 8 compatibility and that did not solve it.  TT19 is compatible with Windows 10...

windows is up-to-date (i checked)

Activation 2019????

@NCperson wrote:

I ran under  window 8 compatibility and that did not solve it.  TT19 is compatible with Windows 10...

windows is up-to-date (i checked)

Close the TurboTax program

Right click on the TurboTax icon

Click on Properties

Click on the Compatibility tab

Check the box  Run this program as an administrator

Click on Apply and then OK

Start the TurboTax program

Activation 2019????

nope - no success; program continues to 'hang' while attempting to load the activation screen.  

Activation 2019????

@NCperson wrote:

nope - no success; program continues to 'hang' while attempting to load the activation screen.  

Since we have no way to know how your Windows system settings are configured the only recommendation would be to uninstall the TurboTax program using Windows uninstall.  Restart the computer to remove any residual TurboTax registries and also update any Windows system programs.

Then after the restart has completed, download and install the TurboTax program.

If this also fails then you would need to contact Microsoft support to find out what is preventing the installation of a Windows based program.

Activation 2019????

I agree with @DoninGA  on this....the only recourse you may have at this point  is to continue to try to work with either Windows Support or TTX Customer Support, or both and see if they can sort it out somehow...even if it take hours/days.   

If you have a SDD on the new computer, In past years, there have been unusual problems with installing on new computers with brand new SDD drivers that TTX developers hadn't encountered yet.   But that's just wild guessing side-note that may have nothing to do with your problem.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Activation 2019????

So this is interesting..

I am unable to get to the activation screen on a new computer - trying to install Deluxe 2019.

Since it's a brand new computer, it uses Microsoft Version 20H2 which was released on October 10, 2020 by Microsoft.

There is a 2nd computer in the house (my wife's) and on that computer I can successfully get the activation screen to launch and can input the activation code.  that computer is Windows version 1909.

Any one else with a computer using Microsoft Windows Version 20H2?  did you get TT to activate?

Anyone get the download for 2020 yet and have a computer with Windows 20H2? any issues with activation? 

I am just wondering if it's a problem with the Windows build as that is the only difference between the two laptops that I can identify.  Probably very few users trying to activate TT this time of year WITH Windows 20H2.  But I thought I would see if anyone in this community fits that description. 

Trying to call TT tech support but I suspect they are closed today for the holiday. 

Activation 2019????

Yep.....should be interesting to see what happens if they test installation on Windows 20H2.

My 2019 (and earlier) TTX  software is working on 20H2, but they were already installed when my system upgraded, so that doesn't mean much....other than upgrading to 20H2 won't trash already-installed TTX software.   And I won't bother buying/installing 2020 stuff until January since the early software is generally so error prone ( if I can resist doing so).

A couple windows updates came out last night...you might get those installed and try again in case there is some background bug Microsoft picked up recently that helps.  I realize...that's just a shot in the dark.

Activation 2019????

just downloaded and installed TT2020.... same issue - freezes while trying to launch the activation page. 

Activation 2019????

spent an hour chatting with Microsoft and they determined it's a compatibility issue between the new version of Windows and TT

Talked to TT again today and they now have a few other customers who complained about the same issue.  Engineers are aware and hopefully there will be a fix in the next few weeks.  

Activation 2019????

@NCperson 

Thanks for the update.....will be great to have them work it out before the majority of desktop users start trying to load 2020 in the next 2 months. 

So, maybe another 2019 software update too for those of us who already have it loaded, but might need to transfer to a new ...or second computer.   Wonder if a new 2017 or 2018 install has a similar issue on that latest Windows OS.

Activation 2019????

pre 2019 do not have this issue because those versions did not require activation; TT introduced that in 2019 and it's THAT code that is the issue.  I reloaded TT2018 on my new computer without issue

Activation 2019????

WE HAVE A RESOLUTION (pun intended - see below)

I contacted TT this morning to find out when this would be resolved..... and it has been (if you know the trick!)

• change your resolution to 800 x 600 (start>setting >system resolution. once it's been changed, your screen size will look very big. REMEMBER your initial resolution setting!
  • launch TT and the activation screen should launch.  copy / paste in your activation code. you should get the 'all set' green check mark
  • change your resolution back to what is was originally. 

it worked for me!

Activation 2019????

I certainly hope that is just a temporary/kluge fix.

That would be unworkable for thousands of semi-computer-literate folks in the long run.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies