Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

deherter
Returning Member

Can't efile . told to download updates. Program says it is updated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

We apologize for any inconvenience this experience has caused and we are working diligently to help the returns get filed. On the below FAQ there is a link "here" that you can click on to receive an update once this has been corrected. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-desktop-windows-update-loop-at-e-file/00/...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Figures, even your link is broken.

Very frustrated, customer of nearly 20 years, and after this I'm done with TTx.

Im stuck in a loop to update when no update is available. Reinstall has not worked and the help screens are filled with the same issues unresolved. then the only screen that offers help has a link that fails.

You guys working with Microsoft? you cant get anything right.

I already paid to efile state, and now what, i have to mail it in? OH NO!

Fix this **bleep** !!!!!!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Please try this link to solve the Turbo Tax loop.

mo21
Level 1

I am stuck in the same loop when E filing. Come on Intuit. I have been a turbo Tax customer for over 15 years and never had these crazy issues. Please fix 

From Michigan

Dear Intuit TurboTax,

When will this issue be repaired? Please update status.

Thank you.

Today is Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 6:30pm.

I have deleted all California forms that are not e-file supported.

There are no errors on the return.

The Federal 1120S has been submitted and accepted.

The California Business return is now waiting for this issue...and I have a substantial refund coming from California.

Time value of money...time is not free.

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

This situation will be best handled by contacting customer care. Please click here for directions. 

This a terrible response.

You have simply passed the buck to someone else...without any explanation.

I don't find this very helpful nor understanding.

So, the solution apparently is to have support email you a fix.

The fix will delete your existing State return forms and data.

Then you reload the State return forms, AND REENTER ALL YOUR DATA AGAIN!

=======Yes, I am yelling...Are you kidding me!...This is the solution...I don't think I have ever seen such an unprofessional solution from a corporation as large as Intuit...Who is running the TurboTax division...they should be fired!==========================================================

Here is the full solution steps I was e-mailed:

Resolution

State Loop indicates TurboTax is "up to date" after updating but won't allow you to start your state return

To resolve, close TurboTax and then:

1. Download the TTStateCleanup.zip file and save it to your Desktop or other easy-to-find location.
  2. Double click to open the zip folder
  3. Extract the contents of the folder to your desktop and open the extracted folder.
  4. Right-click the downloaded file (TTCleanStates.exe) and select Run as Administrator.
  5. Select your version  (Personal or Business)
  6. select your state from the drop-down menu and choose Remove (if you're having problems with multiple states, choose  Remove all States).
  7. Once the tool finishes doing its thing, close it and reopen TurboTax.
  8. Follow the prompts to update TurboTax at the prompt – it should start downloading your state.
  9. If not, click the State Taxes tab and download it from there.
  10. If the fix-it fails, do this instead:
  11. Uninstall TurboTax.
  12. Double-click the CD or download file to start the reinstallation process with the following steps:
  13. Click Next on the Welcome Screen.
  14. Click I Agree on the License Agreement.
  15. On the next screen, where you see the install location, select Browse and change it to the location where TurboTax was originally installed. Normally, it's something like C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 20XX.
  16. Click Install after changing the location.
  17. Reopen TurboTax after installation and proceed to your state taxes.

If the above steps do not resolve the issue you're experiencing in TurboTax Please use the article below to restart your computer into Selective Startup and run the tool again.

This is an update to the painful exercise I just went through for the past few days.

SOLUTION: Uninstall and reinstall TurboTax Business 2019!

Good news: All your data and forms are retained.  Do not need to reenter.

Recommendation: TurboTax Support - Put yourself in your customer's chair...answer the obvious question when you tell us to uninstall a file and then reinstall...meaning "...tell us our data will not or should not be deleted..".  This is important!!

Here is my LESSON LEARNED: Don't pre-order the TurboTax products.  TurboTax is obviously unprepared and unable to successfully push software updates...resulting in an uninstall and reinstall. (NOTE: They are not the only large software provider who has this problem...must be an epidemic).

Might as well wait until well into the tax season OR find another tax software provider.

@bettassoci wrote:

Here is my LESSON LEARNED: Don't pre-order the TurboTax products.  TurboTax is obviously unprepared and unable to successfully push software updates...resulting in an uninstall and reinstall. (NOTE: They are not the only large software provider who has this problem...must be an epidemic).

Might as well wait until well into the tax season OR find another tax software provider.

All installation problems are local and need to be addressed on a case by case basis.

Downloaded 2019 TurboTax Premier desktop edition on 11/18/2019.  Installed on a PC running Windows 10 OS Build 18362.  No issues with installation.  Run program as Administrator.  Updated to latest Release R18 on 02/20/2020.  No issues. 

Please don't waste your good name making excuses for TurboTax's failings.

Based on the support notes I read in the community, there were several STATE products that updates did not fix. The only solution was to uninstall and reinstall...and no, it was not an installation problem. 

It was a software update problem prior to 2/20/2020...of course, and hopefully, for all others still working on filing...it is probably now fixed.

I have been using TurboTax for over 20 years, filing the same type of return, and have NEVER experienced the problems encountered this year.  I have the same Windows build.  If  you have 'simple' returns...might be ok for you.

CM1017
Returning Member

I tried e-filing this morning (2/23/20) and it says it needs to update with no update available, so it is still not working. Tried repairing, uninstalling, turning off pop-up blockers, deleted caches and cookies and nothing has worked.

All of the posts say it is a State problem so I went ahead and transmitted just my federal and it worked. There are some links that have a fix for NY and MA but I need one for Michigan.

This is pretty upsetting. I’ve been using TurboTax for several years now and have never had an issue. Not sure what else to do but wait to see if they can fix the issue or get a refund for my $20 to e-file and then mail in my return. I’m trying to avoid having to redo my state return completely.

Any update?!? Or do we just sit around and wait it out... spent over $50 on this product that doesn’t work.

I am having the same problem... when I click on the link, page will not load

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies