Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AKYINZER

Can't activate Turbotax Home and Business

unbelievable!  Sheer genius, kenmeyer!

baudlady

OMG I too spent much time working with my firewall and other settings only to find the noted resolution solved the problem! I was seriously going to have to fire up my old laptop and see if I could do my taxes there. Frowny face it took so long to find the problem!

Llmahs

After spending 3 phone calls and 10 hours with geek squad, I decided to look myself. Your answer was golden.  I had about an hour with turbo tax as well.   So thank you. I truly appreciate it. 

I hope turbo tax is listening and will make the necessary fixes 

PBruin

Same problem with blank activate screen. Spent hours with Amazon trying to activate download. They referred me to TurboTax. Spent 4 hours and then was finally told it is a windows 10 problem. Has anybody got a fix? Getting close to April 15... 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this TurboTax Help Article to assist with troubleshooting your blank screen issue: Troubleshoot blank screens, missing buttons, or missing images

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Reduce your screen resolution 800 x 600

Change your resolution to 800 x 600...install and then bring your resolution back...worked for me.

maglib
Level 11

I have tried screen resolution to 800x600,  I set to run as admin,  have all cookies and 3rd party cookies enabled, w_perrelsuperpatch installed manually, 

I tried disabling UAC,  Shut off the firewall  on all networks, no VPN,shut antivirus,  shut all account protections, no proxy service,  fully updated, cleared cache and history,  did SFC,  ran in compatability mode,  updated manually, java fully updated, windows fully updated,  disk cleanup, I have windows 10 Home Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.868, intel core i7, 16gb ram, (15.8gb usable),   I tried safe mode,  I tried safe mode with networking,  I tried directly connected to modem,  i tried using my iphone instead.....  we uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. We went to command prompts.    Did everything in every link I could find including this one and https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/troubleshoot-blank-screens-missing-buttons-or...

another one https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/troubleshoot-installing-and-running-turbotax-...

I can not get to be able to input the activation code and this is a download directly from turbotax.

I also spent 2 hours with tech support who couldn't figure it out neither and we did a number of other attempts and he took over my laptop a guy named Jeremiah.

What site is it that my computer is not communicating with?  Maybe I can check the communication or the site has issues?

20h2.JPGno protection.JPGnot connected to internet.JPGproxy set to off.JPGresolution.JPGspecs.JPGversion.JPGwindows security.JPG

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

@maglib 

Do you use a VPN?   I read a comment from some user in some thread that his VPN was causing the issue, preventing communicating with the activation server.  I wouldn't feel comfortable disabling my firewall and antivirus/antimalware programs.  Hopefully you didn't leave them that way.

Have you asked for help in the Lounge?

maglib
Level 11

No VPN. 
not yet in lounge. 
im looking in event viewer and see nothing troubling. Not 100% sure what to look for but tried everything after. 
thanks for trying. 

***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
stinesllc

Try in this order: close TurboTax. Change resolution to 600x800, then reopen turbo tax. Sometimes when I change resolutions while program is still open, it doesn’t work. Hope it helps!

maglib
Level 11

This solution works. @DJS  has posted it. 

SIMPLE SOLUTION

Download and install Revo Uninstaller (fee version) and use that to uninstall TT20 using the aggressive setting. When that finishes it will go further to show all the leftover registry entries. If you have earlier versions of TT installed these will also be shown there. Just select all the registry entries with TT20 (maybe TY20) in the registry key name, and delete those. This will fix the problem. Takes about 3 minutes.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/products/revo-uninstaller-free/

@ maglib wrote:

No VPN. 
not yet in lounge. 
im looking in event viewer and see nothing troubling. Not 100% sure what to look for but tried everything after. 
thanks for trying. 

You're welcome.  I see from another post that you've solved it, which is good news.  It's up to you, but you may wish to edit and remove all the images above about your system.

Recee23

Hi all,  I just got off a 2 hour long call with support and after that this is how I was able to "activate" my TurboTax 2020.  First I have a newer computer HP 2021 running windows 10.  What I was finally told was to: 

close any open items

Go to an empty area on the screen and right click my mouse

Go to display settings

Change the settings to 800x600 and save them

Then go to the Turbo Tax Icon and open it up, it worked I was able to input my License 

I was told I could go back to my original higher resolutions and it would still work

I choose to register my information before I did this.  I did this and the program is working fine now and I put my computer back to its resolution setting.

I hope this helps anyone else out there.

Also tried to activate Turbo Tax Home & Business 2020 but activation link would not would.  It just said we hit a snag. Was on the phone for over an hour and then intuit customer service hung up and I got an email saying Case was closed?? These people are worthless.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies