turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I download the program instead of using the CD. The product states I have the option of downloading the software to my computer. How do I download it from the site?

What do I need to do to download the program. The packaging states I need to agree to the user agreement. Where is it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Can I download the program instead of using the CD. The product states I have the option of downloading the software to my computer. How do I download it from the site?

If you purchased the CD/Download, it will be saved in your account. This FAQ will show you how to access it. 

You can access your download from any computer.  Access download

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bnworster

I followed the directions. but it says i have already used the code, which i did to start the CD version.

I wand to also load it on my laptop which does not have a CD drive. how can i do this?

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

You can download your software directly from TurboTax.

1. Go to InstallTurboTax.com.
  2. Set up a TurboTax account if you don't already have one. If you do, sign in. (If you don’t remember your credentials, you can walk through our Account Recovery page to see if you already have an account.)
  3. Enter your license code in the pop up window.
    • It’s a 16-character combination of letters and numbers (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX) that can be found on your CD box insert, envelope, or packing slip. (Note: The 2019 product has a 14-character code that looks like this: XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX)
  4. Select your operating system, and select Get Download.
  5. Download your software and install.
    • When you get to the Your product is installed, now let's activate it screen, enter your license code in the License code box, and select Continue to complete installation.

If you need help installing, we can help with Windows and Mac.

Please click the following links to learn more:

How do I download the software I purchased at TurboTax.com?

I bought the CD, but my computer doesn't have a CD drive

Bethmimi1645
Returning Member

I installed Premier on my desktop using the CD, but the computer was having issues, so I uninstalled the Turbo Tax 2021. I wanted to download it on my laptop because it doesn't have a hard drive. It helps me I have another account in use whenever I enter the product key.  I purchased my copy from Amazon.com.  

If you installed from the CD it seems you can not download it from online now.  You can't do both CD and download.   See the info on this FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

So you need to call in to get the download pushed to your account.

Or try copying the CD to a usb flash drive.  See SteamTrains post here

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/why-can-t-i-install-turbotax-on-my-laptop-via-dow...

dpmmusic

Hi,

I bought my CD from Amazon not on TurboTax so it's not listed in my account.  I don't want to load it from the CD I bought.  I want to download it like it says I can on the product labeling.   How do I do that please?

thanks.

Use the download method instead of the CD.  It has more advantages over CD.  Then you can also download it another computer. Once you install the CD you can't install it again like if you need to reinstall the program or install on a different computer.

There should be a card in the CD case on on the CD envelope that says how to download it and you will need the 14 or 16 digit code from it to enter.

How to download Turbo Tax instead of using the CD

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

And see this.  How to install with a License Code

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/activating-turbotax-cd-download-software/00/852971

RPH007

I answered that above. Scroll up.

There was no pop up window when I went to my account to download turbo tax

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If you are having trouble downloading TurboTax Desktop, please see these steps:

If your wireless connection is interrupted or isn't working, you won't be able to successfully download, update, or e-file with TurboTax. Accordingly, we recommend using a wired, broadband connection with your TurboTax CD/Download software.

1. If you're having problems downloading TurboTax on a wireless connection, open a new internet browser session and visit sites that you haven't visited for a while
  2. If you can't access other sites, try restarting your wireless router
  3. If you're still having problems, turn off your computer, your router, and your modem, in that order. Wait a minute or two and turn on your modem. Wait another minute and turn on your router, followed by your computer

If you are not using wireless or the above steps didn't help:

• Try connecting to the internet through your web browser. If you can't, check your internet connection
  • Make sure Internet Explorer 6.0 SP2 or later is installed if you're trying to download through TurboTax, even if you use a different browser for accessing the internet
  • Temporarily turn off your firewall, virus-detection software, and any other program that connects to the internet, such as email or web browsers (Remember to turn your security software back on after downloading is complete)
  • Allow cookies and pop-up windows
  • If you're using a dial-up connection, disable or turn off any download accelerators before downloading
  • Check your router if you use one
  • Did you uninstall McAfee software? Leftover McAfee files can interfere with TurboTax downloads. Remove it by following the directions at the McAfee website

Please see this help article for more information and links. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies