Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Thud
Level 2

Activation Code

Not an acceptable answer to a widespread problem.   

Activation Code

Thud wrote:

Not an acceptable answer to a widespread problem.   

This is a cluttered old thread with many users with various issues.  You didn't describe an issue, so I'll take a guess and see if your issue is the same as the thread title.   If TurboTax suddenly asks you to enter the activation code again,  here's some info, but you may have already seen it several times in this thread.   Often the issue is related to a USB peripheral--a USB drive, thumb drive, USB printer, etc.--that was not present (or not turned on) during installation, or vice versa; i.e., was present then, but no longer is.

It can often be due to a configuration change with a USB drive or device that has changed since you installed TurboTax, such as a thumb drive, other external drive, USB printer, etc.

If you have a USB drive/device plugged into a USB port at the same time you are launching TurboTax, then unplug (or turn off) the USB drive/device, and then try launching the TurboTax program again. See if that solves the problem.    Or try it the other way around. i.e., if you had a USB drive/device plugged in initially when you installed TurboTax originally, but don't now, then plug that USB drive/device back in and try.

It can work both ways depending on what the system config was like at initial activation.

That happened to me one day when I forgot I had a USB thumb drive inserted into my computer.  TurboTax asked me to reactivate, but once I removed the thumb drive, TurboTax launched normally.   Many others have reported the same experience.

Similar to a USB configuration, another user reported anecdotally that it can also happen if one inserts one of those tiny SD memory cards after activation, or the other way around if there was one inserted at the time of initial activation.

Thud
Level 2

Activation Code

So, is this current activation scheme acceptable for Turbotax?  NO IT IS NOT.    What other consumer programs behave this way? NONE over the 40+ years I've been using PC's.  As a SHORT term fix, I suggest Turbotax ad a note to their message asking for your activation code, suggesting that "removing OR adding thumb-drives/external drives, so as to have the same configuration as when originally  activated, may solve your activation code problem."   As a PERMANENT SOFTWARE CURE, I suggest that Turbotax use the unique serial number that every AMD and Intel CPU has and can be read with software to limit the activation.  ALLOW 5 Different CPU serial number's to be used before the gig is up!  This would also keep people from reusing a license on a cloned HD!   I understand Turbotax needs to get paid for their program. 

Turbo Tax limits the number of activations per code to 5.  I've used three because of hardware issues in the last two years. 

I am currently working on amending a 2018, 2019, and a 2020 returns all together.   My 2020 had a different hardware set up than the 2019, and thankfully 2018 did not have the current activation scheme.   SO PLEASE allow earlier data files created with any of the previously user used CPU serial numbers to be used at the same time on the current computer-even though it is a newer CPU.    

jlstaley3
Returning Member

Activation Code

Those or workable suggestions. As it is, they will not be getting any more product purchases from me or my Family. After 30 + years I'll be using a different product. 

Activation Code

Thud and jlstaley3 

This is mainly a user community forum, and after tax season it is rare for folks from TurboTax Support (and at any time for TurboTax techs and developers) to read and respond in the user forum.  It's not uncommon for problems and solutions to be discovered in this forum by fellow users and volunteers before TurboTax Support is aware of them, as was the case for this user-discovered solution several months ago.    While they are aware of this problem, whether they will fix/modify the suboptimal activation system in future product, I have no idea.   

There are other problems with the activation method as well that some users are experiencing, including blank or inactive popup activation Windows that do not allow the screen resolution of modern monitors for some users.  The solution for that also originally came from users in the forum.  I agree that the activation method needs to be revisited by the developers/engineers.

If you want to leave feedback where TurboTax corporate folks will see it and pass along to the right development/engineers team, here's how:

You can go to the page below. Just below the page's large title, you'll see a screen-wide blue banner that prominently says:

"Do you have a question, concern, or feedback about an Intuit product or service?"

There is a "Send an email" link with an arrow.  It goes to a designated person in the office of the president of Intuit, and they supposedly will assign it to the right team for review.

NOTE:  Do NOT send any sensitive personal data since that is regular email--not secure email.

https://www.intuit.com/company/executives/

araseli16

Activation Code

i LOST MY cd PACKAGE SO I DONT HAVE A CODE TO ACTIVATE.

Activation Code

araseli16 wrote:

i LOST MY cd PACKAGE SO I DONT HAVE A CODE TO ACTIVATE.

Even though you bought a CD, did you also happen to download an installation file by any chance before you lost the code?  If so, the code will be in the downloads section of your online TurboTax account.   If you did not download the program, then that won't apply.    Also if you are a TurboTax Advantage member and ordered a CD, the code should also be in the downloads section of your Advantage account along with a complimentary download of the software.

Otherwise, please phone TurboTax Customer Support for assistance.

Hours are currently 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it may schedule a callback.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Activation Code

@araseli16  Have you read the thread?  This question/issue has been addressed numerous times in this, and other, similar threads.  Take the time to read through it, try the suggestions or call the Support Number.  At least your wait time should be short!  Good luck.

BTW, a word of unsolicited advice; put your CD's in a safe place for at least 7 years as that is the length of time the IRS can audit you.  I've had to re-load a version of TTax from 5 years prior to amend a client's return.  Another time, my brother in law needed an old version.  Nice to have them at your fingertips......

Activation Code

But if you install an older year you might not be able to update it or download any state programs you need to open the return.  Turbo Tax only supports and updates the last 3 years.

Activation Code

@VolvoGirl Not really an issue. Amend with what you've got.

Another piece of unsolicited advice; go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\TurboTax\Premier 2020\Forms and look for a folder called (in my case gai_20 because I file in Georgia) and copy that folder to the same place you save your tax returns.  It is the State forms for each year and can be found in the same place each year.  Save them each year.  Then you'll have the updated forms for that tax year, up-to-date as of the last time you did an update in that particular year.  Beats not having anything at all!

GilesM

Activation Code

I need an activation code for TT Business 2020.  I purchase the cd through Costco and have been using it for many months.  now TT is asking for the activation code which I have misplaced.

Activation Code

Make sure your computer is the same way when you originally installed it.  Like with no flash drives plugged in or plugged in if one was.  It asked me again so I just closed the program and took out a flash drive that was plugged in and tried again.  It worked.  Or you may need to connect a flash drive or printer or something that was connected when you originally installed the program.

You need a 14 digit (for 2019) or 16 digit (for 2020) License Code to activate the Desktop program.

Where is the License Code?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/852973

Or you need to call in and get a new License Code.

Activation Code

@GilesM   Read the thread, or others like it.  You'll have your answer quicker than it took you to type in the same question for the umpteenth time!

Activation Code

I lost my CD In a move and need my activation code

Activation Code

@Harrylcnm wrote:

I lost my CD In a move and need my activation code

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the license code - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/852973

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies