Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Activation Code

And try starting Turbo Tax again.  MAKE sure your computer is the same way when you originally installed it.  Like with no flash drives plugged in or plugged in if one was.  It asked me again so I just closed the program and took out a flash drive that was plugged in and tried again.  It worked.  Or you may need to connect a flash drive or printer or something that was connected when you originally installed the program.

Activation Code

I down loaded my turbo tax and been using it and it is now asking for activation code - i sign into my account and can not get to down loads

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Activation Code

This Turbo Tax FAQ will provide the activation process. Activation Process

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Activation Code

This year turbo tax was not nice. Bought it, installed it, activated it. Waited a few weeks for my info to come in. Come back to turbo tax and it's asking for my activation again. Just had lots of work done to my house and didn't have box. Nothing intuit could do. Had to buy another copy. That's a rip off you guys need to fix this activation issue next year. Should not have to re activate it once it's installed. Over 100 dollars to do my taxes myself.

gk511

Activation Code

I have an activation code but it keeps saying something is wrong  My son-in-law bought it and we share it    it is good for 8 taxes

Activation Code

@gk511   Are you in Canada?  I think Canada has a 8 return version.  The USA Desktop program can do unlimited returns and efile 5 federal.  The rest you have to print and mail.    You can install it on 5 computers you own.  

Here is the Canada forum https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/tax-help

Or Contact TurboTax Canada Support https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact

For USA help

Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time
7 days a week
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

jcl2
Level 1

Activation Code

Thanks for the tip.  That worked for me.  I had to plug in an external USB drive I.  I must have had it plugged in when I activated.  Absolutely ridiculous.... but I guess if it works, whatever.  

Activation Code

Sorry, but you are incorrect.  I have used the desktop version for 21 years, including yesterday. 

The program did updates when I opened it today, and following that is when it suddenly needed the activation code again.  I have them all going back to 2000, but this is abnormal behavior and I would like an informed response from TT as to what is going on.

Just to make clear, it has nothing to do with anything plugged in.  I filed our 2021 returns last month and we've gotten our refund.  You may imagine that I don't do our tax return in one "go," so I know very well that after today's update is the first this has EVER happened to me.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Activation Code

You are posting in Community, which is a public forum. To get an informed response to your request, you will need to contact Customer Support.  In this public forum, we don't have access to your specific account information. 

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact Customer Support: What is the TurboTax phone number?

@MamaDeerinSnow

lsmari

Activation Code

You realize your comment offers zero help, right? It says "try one of the methods below". They are no methods below. Just a list of how to find the activation code depending on the install. I don't think any of us are having trouble finding the codes. I know Turbo Tax is messed up and is having the same problems with 2019 AND now 2020 too. 

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Activation Code

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support for assistance:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

Activation Code

You Employee Turbo Tax Experts are being used as a buffer between a disappointed customer base and the somewhat limited programmers that wrote this bug into the program a couple years ago.  This has gone on for two years and has still not been fixed.  In my case the problem was resolved by removing a thumb drive.  Nowhere in your problem solution was this fix mentioned.   Someone that knows what they are doing should be made aware of this problem and fix it.

Activation Code

I just had this problem with TT 2020. Turns out the logic TT uses for determining if you are using the same computer or a different computer includes examining the drives plugged into USB ports. I had a backup drive plugged into one of my USB ports when I originally installed and activated TT on my laptop. The next day, I launched TT without the USB drive plugged in, and TT prompted me for my activation code again. I tried re-launching TT several times, each time with the same result. Then, I made one and only one change: I plugged in my backup drive in the USB port. Sure enough, TT then launched without prompting me for my activation code. I believe TT should be smarter about determining whether it is being launched on the same or different computer!

dhard
Returning Member

Activation Code

I tried loadin ttax 2020 and it wants my activation code.  I am open to ttax on my laptop - is there a way to get the activaton code from there/

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Activation Code

If you are being asked for the activation code again after already entering it prior, please see this FAQ @dhard.

***If this was your first activation attempt, please review this FAQ.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies