Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Activation Code

CO120,

If there was something that was plugged in when you activated TurboTax and have since removed, that will also cause it.

Activation Code

fishenthusiast, thanks for the tip. I did have my printer plugged in when installing 2020 TurboTax. Just now plugged in my printer, rebooted computer (to be on safe side) and low and behold, TurboTax now opens when I have the printer plugged in. This happen to me in reverse last year (2019) when I had nothing plugged in and tried to open TurboTax with something plugged in (printer, thumbdrive, etc). This year I forgot I had the printer plugged in when I installed TurboTax for the first time. Again thanks for the tip. Hopefully I will remember for 2021. 🙂 

daveiaz
Returning Member

Activation Code

I installed the latest feature update for windows 10 and all my licenses need to be re-entered.  When I went to enter the code for this software, it tells me its already activated.  How do I correct?

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Activation Code

Please contact us for assistance with your activation code.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Activation Code

if it is already activated and the software launches, there is no issue, 

Lily6139

Activation Code

I had the same problem.  Removing a flashdrive worked!  THANK YOU!

vantuit

Activation Code

The 'official' response helped me realize the cause of why sometimes after I started my already activated TT, the program would do its 'update' process and then rather than "continue with TurboTax" it would enter an activation process. In my case the cause was VPN. Because the 'update' process is slow, I would go do other things on the internet and if it required security I would activate a VPN. The VPN would interfere with TT's ability to verify the activation after it completed the update. I found that as long as I patiently wait for the update process to do its thing and don't turn on the VPN, the TT will run fine without re-activating.

P.S. To the TurboTax folks: I would like the program MUCH better if it allowed for an option to manually initiate updating. There are many instances in which the user may access the program for simple things that require no updating. Often it takes longer for the update process than it does to complete the simple task and it's annoying when it's irrelevant.

Activation Code

If you have Windows Desktop that's the first thing I do is turn off the automatic updates.  Go up to Online-Updater Preferences.  They put out the updates on Thursdays.

For Mac, sorry you don't get to turn it off.  

Activation Code

This has been at least partially answered in several of the previous answers, but I think it can be generalized:

I believe this happens whenever you go to open TurboTax and you have ANY device plugged into a USB port.  In my case it was an external mouse; in the case of others on here, it was a thumb drive.

I suggest you remove everything from USB ports, open Turbotax,  and once the program is open you can plug anything/everything back in and continue as normal.

Activation Code

Cannot launch TT it keeps asking for activation code which I forgot?  Un-plugging router does not work.   Turning off firewall does not work.  HELP!

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Activation Code

If you are having issues and need assistance, please contact customer support. Please see the Customer Support phone number below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

If you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

mondrusovmark
Returning Member

Activation Code

When I tried to load TurboTax 2020 from CD disk, which I bought in Costco, program requested the license code, but your program accepted only digits, but not letters. I tried to load TurboTax 2020 directly from TurboTax website. The license code was accepted by TurboTax website, but when I tried to activate the program on my MAC computer, I was asked for the license code again. Your program again accepted only digits, but not letters. Therefore, I am not able to use TurboTax 2020, for which I paid. Please, help to resolve the problem

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Activation Code

@mondrusovmark Make certain you're not entering the dashes when typing in your code.  You only need to enter the numbers and letters exactly how they appear.

If you're still having trouble with your code, please contact us:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

ReferenceMy code doesn't work

Activation Code

I bought this from Costco, installed it, added my activation code and then waited a few weeks to get all my paperwork.  We had our floors redone and threw a bunch of stuff out including the box this came in.  Now this software is useless because I don't have the activation code I already put in.  And Intuit does not have a phone number to call or chat agent.  Very shady of them.  The suggestion you mentioned does nothing.  So it looks like I have to buy another version of this and hold on to that code for dear life.  This is horrible and like I said earlier, shady.  I am stuck screwed because you guys don't know how to make your software work and now it is my problem.

Activation Code

You can call in and ask for another code.

Contact Customer Service

(You need to pick the CD/Download program in the product drop down box.) 
5am-9pm Pacific Time
7 days a week
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies