Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Activation 2019????

@SteamTrain @NCperson @DoninGA 

Just an FYI, the "resolution" set forth by @NCperson did not work for me on one of my machines. 

I still get the blank, white activation box which, if left alone for a minute or two, results in a screen informing me that I am not connected to the internet (to which I most definitely am connected).

Here is the kicker: I have another machine, which is identical in all respects (and I mean EVERTYTHING, right down to the connection to my router via ethernet) and the install on that machine went smoothly and without issue.

Therefore, something else (untoward) has got to be happening here.

Activation 2019????

@tagteam - and both machines have Windows Version 20h2???? 

I did have the firewall turned off and removed any anti-virus softwares to ensure this worked. Any chance one of these tools is still turned on the non-functioning machine? just a thought.....

Activation 2019????

@NCperson wrote:

@tagteam - and both machines have Windows Version 20h2???? 

I did have the firewall turned off and removed any anti-virus softwares to ensure this worked. Any chance one of these tools is still turned on the non-functioning machine? just a thought.....

Yes, 20H2 and both machines are identical in every single respect - hardware, software, settings - everything!

Activation 2019????

@tagteam 

Time to have the Moderators link you up with a Zoom call with actual tech/software staff

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Activation 2019????

@SteamTrain wrote:

@tagteam 

Time to have the Moderators link you up with a Zoom call with actual tech/software staff

I am thinking I might just bag it. The programs (actually Home & Business and Business) appear to be working properly on one of my machines and that should be sufficient.

The problem is they never seem to learn their lesson; they are going to lose more revenue from people with these activation issues than they will from piracy.

Activation 2019????

I am actually surprised they don't eliminate the download version and get everyone to go online....they'd make a lot more $$$$ that way; I do 4 tax returns each year (different family members) and just pay for 1 software copy; if I had to do it online, I'd pay 4 times.  Or at least significantly raise the price of the CD download version to force more to migrate to online.....  

Activation 2019????

@NCperson wrote:

.....if I had to do it online, I'd pay 4 times.  Or at least significantly raise the price of the CD download version to force more to migrate to online.....  

....OR you might be tempted to use a competitor's download product, of which there are at least a couple and one is significantly less expensive than TurboTax.

Activation 2019????

Yeah, but i am a 26 year user (first year was 1995 - still have the disks - one for federal and one for state), so I know TT's process and for a few bucks it's worth the convenience...

Activation 2019????

@NCperson wrote:

Yeah, but i am a 26 year user (first year was 1995 - still have the disks - one for federal and one for state), so I know TT's process and for a few bucks it's worth the convenience...

I understand, but there are probably many others who are price sensitive and/or will be reluctant to use an online product. The folks at TurboTax are almost certainly aware of that, which is the reason the CD/download products are still in existence.

Activation 2019????

If you install Home & Business, and Business on one machine, will that limit you to 5 e-files in total?  Or will you still have 5 e-files for each product?  I need to buy Home & Business, and Business also, but I was going to install them on separate machines, because I am afraid that it will limit me to 5 e-files total if I put them both on the same machine.   I had heard that the way they limit the e-files is that they use the serial number of the computer to determine how many e-files have been sent from that machine.  Have you heard anything like that?

Activation 2019????

@99sc2 wrote:

If you install Home & Business, and Business on one machine, will that limit you to 5 e-files in total?  Or will you still have 5 e-files for each product?  I need to buy Home & Business, and Business also, but I was going to install them on separate machines, because I am afraid that it will limit me to 5 e-files total if I put them both on the same machine.   I had heard that the way they limit the e-files is that they use the serial number of the computer to determine how many e-files have been sent from that machine.  Have you heard anything like that?

The 5 free federal e-files is per license.  So if you purchase the Home & Business edition you will receive 5 free federal e-files for that license.  If you also purchase the Business Edition you will receive 5 free federal e-files for that license.

Phil34

Activation 2019????

Thank you so much for your recommendation, it worked!!!!  Changing the screen resolution allowed TT2020 deluxe to activate- go figure. I’m impressed that you solved the problem. 
much appreciated 

Activation 2019????

I've tried everything I can find but no success. I have 2 machines, one on WiFi & the other on ethernet. Same problem. I did see someone who had a problem with last year's & apparently knows a lot about programming because he found a solution in the error log & made a cmd entry to change something about the requested dns settings. I don't understand how that might relate to this year's problem, but if anyone knows & can explain it I would try.

Activation 2019????

can you explain what your current issue is?

did the software download?

did it launch and obtain the updates from TT?

did it freeze on the activation screen?

what version of Windows are you running? (start>settings>system>about)

Activation 2019????

It installed fine, but when I enter the code I get a message that Turbotx cannot connect to my computer. I spent 8 hours on the phone, but their conclusion was that it's a Microsoft problem. But having me delete the updater to make it repair was not Windows fault

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies