turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 Turbo Tax won't open

I migrated turbotax 2019 from an older 2010 mac , to a newer 2019 mac as the older mac wouldn't run the new 2020 turbo tax. then I tried to import the 2019 turbo tax to the 2020 Turbo tax and there may be a conflict because of this import.  Now I can't open the 2020 Turbotax, upon trying to open the 2020 turbotax there is a dialog box that opens and closes so quickly that it is unreadable then the software stalls and fails to open.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

67 Replies

Can’t open Turbo Tax 2020. It opens but then immediately closes. 

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@jharrison7 What version of TurboTax are you using? The online version or a desktop version? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

We downloaded Turbo Tax Deluxe 2020 from Intuit.  I opened it last night and it was fine.  Today it immediately closes as soon as it opens.  This is first year I’ve had a problem.  I can still open 2019. 

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

I am including a few Turbo Tax FAQ's geared at troubleshooting MAC download issues:

MAC Download Issues

Turbo Tax Installation Issues

Remove and Reinstall Turbo Tax for MAC

This is totally annoying.  I have deleted and reinstalled a couple of times.  I can open everything else including Turbo Tax 2019 but cannot open 2020.  It was open last night but now it comes up, says checking for updates, and disappears.  

@ jharrison7 wrote:

This is totally annoying.  I have deleted and reinstalled a couple of times.  I can open everything else including Turbo Tax 2019 but cannot open 2020.  It was open last night but now it comes up, says checking for updates, and disappears.  

I can't see in your other posts that you've said whether you use the Windows or the Mac version.  So I'll address Windows.

Are you using the Windows version (needs 8 or higher)?    If so,first download and install a manual TurboTax update.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-...

If that didn't solve it, try running a TurboTax repair  (Windows version).

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/how-to-repair-turbotax-in-microsoft-w...

MAC version.  As I mentioned, it worked perfectly yesterday.  I even downloaded a document from our broker.

MAC version.  Worked perfectly yesterday including download a file from our broker.

@jharrison7 wrote:

MAC version.  Worked perfectly yesterday including download a file from our broker.

I'm not really a Mac person, but I'll see if I can find one to help you.   When you uninstalled/reinstalled, did you use this detailed method as outlined in this FAQ?

FAQ:  Remove and reinstall TurboTax Mac software:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/01/26050

@macuser_22 

When you are next in the forum, can you please review the postings by jharrison7 in this thread to see if you can help him/her with software that quit working.   Thanks!

I'm hving the same problem.

I'm having the same issue. Actually, this is the second time this tax season this has happened to me. I fixed it the first time by completely uninstalling and then reinstalling turbo tax. I'm assuming I will have to do the same thing again. it's very frustrating. 

When I launch turbo tax it pops up with the dialog that it is checking for updates then that quickly closes and the program closes. I'm running Mac OS big sur 11.1

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@bsbaker85 See this link here for assistance with Big Sur. See this TurboTax FAQ for help with troubleshooting TurboTax for Mac. If you need further assistance, contact customer support here.

Like I said in my post this is the second time I’m going through this. So while I can troubleshoot it and follow all the steps of uninstalling and reinstalling it’s a pain in the butt to do it a second time. I want to know if turbo tax is aware that it has a bug that is causing this for some people and if y’all are working on fixing it. Uninstalling and reinstalling is apparently not a permanent fix it’s a bandaid.

the first time I actually hadn’t upgraded to Big Sur yet, but as part of troubleshooting that I went ahead and upgraded.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

We would suggest using the FAQ link posted below to reach out to TurboTax customer service. They would be able to tell you if they are aware of the issue and if not, gather more information from you as to what is happening:

TurboTax customer service

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies