Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My taxes have been rejected saying the AGI doesnt match. but the AGI im entering is the same number i received from the IRS transcript...HELP!!!!

If it was rejected for AGI—-be aware that many 2020 returns took so long for the IRS to process that your 2020 AGI might not be in the IRS system.   Try using zero instead.

If filing with zero is rejected then file again but select the option that you did not file last year.  The IRS does not see that question and it will allow you to e-file with no AGI question.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My taxes have been rejected saying the AGI doesnt match. but the AGI im entering is the same number i received from the IRS transcript...HELP!!!!

AGI is Adjusted Gross Income.  You need your 2020 AGI to efile 2021. The AGI is on 2020 1040 line 11. If you filed a Joint return you use the same AGI for each spouse.

How to find the AGI.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

If you didn't file 2020 or filed it later in the year or mailed it, then try entering 0 for the AGI. If that doesn't work you will have to print and mail your return.

Or request a transcript from the IRS
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

wayne030143
Returning Member

How do you file my tax return when my AGI for 2020 is correct and the IRS won't accept it because it says it is wrong!  Should I send it directly and avoid using Turbo Tax as the sender?

@wayne030143 

If it was rejected for AGI—-be aware that many 2020 returns took so long for the IRS to process that your 2020 AGI might not be in the IRS system.   Try using zero instead.

If filing with zero is rejected then file again but select the option that you did not file last year.  The IRS does not see that question and it will allow you to e-file with no AGI question.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
prkamm

I, too, have had the same old problem of supposed AGI mismatch between what has been entered in TurboTax and the value on file with the IRS for 2 years in a row now.  And as others have reported, IRS Tax Return transcripts for the  last 2 years have shown that the TurboTax-entered AGI and the one in IRS records are identical.  Repeating the efiling process didn't help.

What DID help has creating an IRS IP [Identity Protection] PIN using the IRS online tool:  Click the "Get an IP PIN" button at https://www.irs.gov/iden[product key removed]-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin , sign in to your IRS account, click the "Continue" button and follow the prompts to continue to get the IP PIN.  (You'll need to get one for a co-filer with their IRS account, too, if you're filing jointly.)

With The IP PIN(s) in hand, open TurboTax, click the "Federal Taxes" tab, then > "Other Tax Situations" > scroll down to "Other Return Info" > "Identity Protection PIN" > Update.  Follow the prompts to reach the page to enter your IP PIN(s), and then continue to start the efiling process from the beginning again.

Be aware that the 6-digit IP PIN is NOT the same as the 5-digit "self-select" PIN which you encounter in the normal efiling process; just leave your previously entered self-select PIN(s) alone.  At any rate, the third attempt to get efiling accepted by the IRS this year worked very swiftly when IP PINs were used.  Could it be that providing IP PINs overrides any requirement for an AGI match between TurboTax and the IRS?  Maybe it was just coincidence that it happened to work for me--it might have simply been destined to work on the third attempt regardless of what I tried--but it still might work for others out there!

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

@prkamm Yes. The IRS requires your AGI to verify your identity for e-filing. If you have been issued an IP PIN by the IRS, that is what the IRS will use to validate a Social Security number's true owner to prevent fraud instead of using the AGI. For more information, please visit the Help article below.

What's an IP PIN? Do I need one? - Intuit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

For anyone dealing with this...here is what ACTUALLY WORKED for us. Go to the IRS.gov website, make an account with them or open your already existing account. See what they have listed as your AGI, and use that. The same thing happened to my son this year, when he filed his taxes. Luckily, I had already had experience with it. Same process worked for him. 

Make an account at IRS. gov and see what they have as your AGI, and use that. This happened to us last year, too. Use what they have listed, and it should work. The same thing happened to my son this year, and the same process fixed his as well. The only exception would be if you taxes were never processed from the previous year, then I would try the "zero" trick mentioned in other posts. 

This has been happening to so many people for the past few years, and I find it odd. That aside, this is how we fixed it. First, don't make the mistake we did a few years ago and mail it in under frustration...as it will take them at least a year to process it. Instead of referring to your old tax return...go directly to the IRS.gov website and make an account. See exactly what they have listed as your AGI and use that number. It did not match our tax return for the previous year, again...very odd as this is happening to a lot of people. Anyway, my son had the same exact issue this year. Luckily, I saved him a lot of time, went to IRS. gov...got the AGI, E-file was then accepted. Good luck! If your tax return wasn't processed, the IRS will show that as well, and then you'll know to use "zero".

prkamm

Lesley,

Glad to hear that the simple expedient of using the AGI shown in an IRS tax transcript for your previous year's return worked for you.  But in my case, and in some others documented in the discussion of this problem, the AGI's in our previous year's TurboTax-generated return were IDENTICAL to what the IRS had on file--there was no mismatch, and the previous year's return was fully processed.   Efiling of the TurboTax return for 2021 was rejected, nonetheless, which led us to try the IP PIN approach, since I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the suggestion of entering and AGI $0, a manifestly false value, into TurboTax in order to get a efile return accepted.

Rozy636363
Returning Member

"just file a paper return" is not an answer. 

If the agi is correct, and efile doesn't work, I should get a refund of something.  I paid for this functionality!

Did you try entering 0 or 0.00 for the AGI?  The IRS took a long time to process 2020 returns so the AGI didn't get entered in time.

The Online fees are to prepare the return whether you efile or print and mail it.

Rozy636363
Returning Member

I just tied zero after calling intuit.

Waiting....

I didn't do anything online,   Idownloaded the software, and full functionality is required whether I print or choose to efile.  Don't make excuses please.

So why is it rejecting?  The email should have a reject code or message.  I'm not making excuses for Turbo Tax.  It is the IRS that is rejecting your return.

Rozy636363
Returning Member

Rejected because of the agi THAT TURBOTAX SOFTWARE SENT.   If it's a known, common problem, they need to put in a note when the update occurs.  The update that the program does every time it's launched that is.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies