Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Missing 2019 tax data file after turbotax software updates were applied

I updated the software and when I tried to open my return there was no data from my return or another that I had filed.  Where did they go?

I just checked mine, and it is fine.  Updated yesterday.   I did lose 2019 file.  No answers from that.   Check your backups.  I had backups for 2019, but my cloud provider deletes deleted files after 30 days.

KatterMN

Well, I am glad I found this thread just to know that I wasn't losing my mind.  I am having the same problem.  Was very pissed that none of my 2019 data come over when I started my 2020 return.  I know how to find the file and it is empty.  When I opened TT2019, it automatically made me update.  Not sure if that was the issue, but either way I had no choice to perform the update.  Thankful that the suggestion to look in the Recycle Bin though as my pdf files of the two ways that I saved my returned were saved.  I may not have the working file anymore, but at least I have all my records.  Cross fingers I'll never need it.  I'm still very angry that this happened at all.  I have been using TT for decades and do like the historical information being transferred to the new return as that helps me know what I've done in previous filings.  The wording of questions change from year to year and having the information of what I've done previously helps to determine if this applies to me, etc.  I don't know how strongly I feel about moving to a different company.  I guess if this happens again in 2021's filing, then I will.  In the tech world, there is nothing they can do for me to retrieve it as I fully believe their update saved over the original file.  Someone should be fired for this programming error.  TT should also immediately stop the update process of 2019 or whatever is done for the new tax year.  When I installed the 2020 product I did not open my 2019 product so I really don't know how this happened as my information was not there for 2019 when I started my 2020 return.  

renbochen

I lost my return after software update!!!! How can I get it back???? Nowhere to find the backup file anything ending with tax2020!!!!

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

To help get you connected to the right person for assistance, please click the link below. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JMEL

Same here, I just ran the update that TT requested be done, and now ALL my information is gone. Two plus hours of work, gone!!!  TT should be giving a refund for our time spent.   This is total unacceptable.

WTF! How do you get back many hours of work?

pdf import doesn't work either

ng35
Level 1

When I opened my 2020 return I could not get a copy of my 2019 return.  I had to purchase a new computer and the 2019 return was not saved.  I think it may be under Gunter NH 2019 so does not match my 2020 file.

I was sent a cod 071041.  Can you please help  me

Thanks

@ ng35 wrote:

When I opened my 2020 return I could not get a copy of my 2019 return.  I had to purchase a new computer and the 2019 return was not saved.  I think it may be under Gunter NH 2019 so does not match my 2020 file.

I was sent a cod 071041.  Can you please help  me

Thanks

I don't fully understand your situation.   How did you prepare the 2019 return and your current 2020 return?  Did you use desktop software (CD/download), for both your 2019 and 2020 returns?

If you're using desktop software, then in order to transfer a 2019 return into a 2020 return, you have to have the *.tax2019 data file on your computer.   Are you saying you did not save a copy of the *.tax2019 data file because it was on an old computer, and you didn't archive it anywhere?  In desktop software, the user is the only one who could save a copy.  If you need to view the 2019 return, what about a PDF--did you save a 2019 PDF to at least view?

Why are you mentioning a code?  What kind of code--did you submit a diagnostic file to TurboTax Support for some reason?

KatterMN

I think it’s lost.  I think the programming for the update permanently erased the data that was on our file.  I did find my pdf but can’t import from that.  I’m worried about next year.  Will this happen again?  

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@KatterMN This would be best answered by clicking here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@KatterMN wrote:

I think it’s lost.  I think the programming for the update permanently erased the data that was on our file.  I did find my pdf but can’t import from that.  I’m worried about next year.  Will this happen again?  

I realize this doesn't help your situation, but I save a copy of the current *.taxYYYY data file after every session working on it.  I copy that file to a thumb drive as a backup--just in case.  But any external drive, CD-R/RW, etc. would also suffice for a backup.    I also keep backup copies of my past data files and PDFs.  

When you archive tax data files and PDFs, make sure you store them safely and security to guard against computer theft, hacking etc.   They contain very sensitive info, possibly including bank account numbers.

kdrose1
Returning Member

I have spent countless hours on the phone with Turbo Tax service and support with each representative telling me something different about my missing .tax2019 file. 

Everything from getting my transcript from the IRS as if they have the missing. tax file (not even).  Next was to just upload the .tax2018 file (can't load anything earlier than 2019.  Obviously they don't even know their own software. 

Next was them sending me another copy of the home & business cd...as if that one would magically make the tax file appear.  Then was the finger pointing of my "Edge" browser...which apparently doesn't work with turbo tax (no where do they tell you this in their software). Only Google Chrome should be used????  

Four case numbers and each time I ask them to keep my case open, only to get an email stating my case is closed.  Only to call again when their solution does not work.

Finally found my own solution by taking my pdf copy and entering everything again from 2019 again.  Had to make sure every number was exact to reflect what my refund was in 2019.  This recreated another .tax2019 file and transfered that to 2020 software.  

What a nightmare!

@ kdrose1 wrote:

Finally found my own solution by taking my pdf copy and entering everything again from 2019 again.  Had to make sure every number was exact to reflect what my refund was in 2019.  This recreated another .tax2019 file and transfered that to 2020 software.  

What a nightmare!

Sorry you had so much trouble.   Those were indeed unusual suggestions. 

I'll assume you are using desktop software (CD/download). 

As a tip going forward:  since I see a lot of problems in the forum, I make a backup copy of my *.taxYYYY data file after every work session.   I copy the tax data file to a thumb drive, but one can use an external drive, CD-R/RW, etc.--somewhere to have a backup copy--just in case.   I also keep backups of the prior tax data files and PDFs on external media/device in case of hard drive crash, file corruption, etc.

kdrose1
Returning Member

Yes, lesson learned....I'll always back up my .tax files!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies