KatterMN

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Well, I am glad I found this thread just to know that I wasn't losing my mind.  I am having the same problem.  Was very pissed that none of my 2019 data come over when I started my 2020 return.  I know how to find the file and it is empty.  When I opened TT2019, it automatically made me update.  Not sure if that was the issue, but either way I had no choice to perform the update.  Thankful that the suggestion to look in the Recycle Bin though as my pdf files of the two ways that I saved my returned were saved.  I may not have the working file anymore, but at least I have all my records.  Cross fingers I'll never need it.  I'm still very angry that this happened at all.  I have been using TT for decades and do like the historical information being transferred to the new return as that helps me know what I've done in previous filings.  The wording of questions change from year to year and having the information of what I've done previously helps to determine if this applies to me, etc.  I don't know how strongly I feel about moving to a different company.  I guess if this happens again in 2021's filing, then I will.  In the tech world, there is nothing they can do for me to retrieve it as I fully believe their update saved over the original file.  Someone should be fired for this programming error.  TT should also immediately stop the update process of 2019 or whatever is done for the new tax year.  When I installed the 2020 product I did not open my 2019 product so I really don't know how this happened as my information was not there for 2019 when I started my 2020 return.