Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Just Jade

Missing 2019 tax data file after turbotax software updates were applied

I did a full system search. I do have 2021 installed and the tax files for that year are also missing.

Just Jade

No I don't use onedrive. Although I did search it. Only one user. 

I have both Business and Personal turbotax. All personal files are still there. ALL business files for the last couple years are gone.

Ies
Returning Member

All of my tax files- from 2014 to last year are gone.  Years of work.  The Turbo Tax update moved all of my files somewhere.  

I tried ALL of the suggested fixes.  None work.  The files are not in the trash.  The files are not in the recycle bin.  The files are not in documents or downloads. 

The Turbo Tax help line says they have never heard of this problem despite the fact that many of us have been calling for a solution.  The help line people don't seem to understand how Turbo Tax works.  I was told to decline updates. ???  I was told many other really odd things as well.  After talking to someone for over an hour a few days ago, he disconnected me.  He had my phone number but never called back.

There is obviously a programming error in the Turbo Tax updates. 

This has been going on for years now.  Why can't the programming error be fixed already?

Charles98

App missing after updates were applied

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You are posting on an old thread. Can you please clarify what the problem is you are having?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just updated TuboTax desktop version on my Windows 10 computer, now all my previous tax files are gone. I had started a new 2023 tax file as well, that's also gone.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Is the TurboTax 2023 icon on your desktop?  When you open it, is your tax file not there?   Where did you keep your prior year tax files?  

An update should not cause any files to disappear, but you may need to go back to a Restore Point in Windows to try to recover them.

1. In the search box, type 'create a restore point'
  2. Click it to the System Properties window.
  3. Go to System Restore.
  4. Select the earlier restore point.

Here's how to Contact TurboTax Support.

@monsoonman 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This happens to me every time I start trying to catch up on my taxes from the previous years. It also happens when I need to open my tax return because someone is requesting the information from me. It's been going on for desktop TT every year since I can remember starting back in 2013.

These "updates" even mess with my PDF versions of my returns I've saved in different drives of my laptop.

Thank goodness for external backup drive. All my old Turbo Tax files and PDFs were gone. I believe it overwrote the existing directory with a new directory, which killed everything in in.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies