Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Missing 2019 tax data file after turbotax software updates were applied

@BillM223

A "brute force" search does not resolve the issue. The update actually deletes the working file with the *.tax2019 extension.

I've been using Turbo Tax for 15 years and have extensive computer knowledge. I know where I had the file saved but I also searched every directory myself to confirm that the file was removed... it's gone. I had to redo the work. 

Same thing happened to me, and mine was completely done. It was completed (in March), saved, and I "printed" it to PDF. Opened the evening of the new deadline to file, was prompted to update — which I did — and when it was done, my .tax2019 file was gone.

I was, and still am, extraordinarily pissed, as I have to pay penalties because Intuit is supremely bad at producing quality software. From not being able to import any info from QBO into Turbo Tax, to now TT deleting my return during an update, I can’t tell you how much I hate using Intuit software, and this might just finally be enough to push me to endure the pain of switching everything to another company that isn't completely incompetent at what is ostensibly its core competency.

ski-dc
Returning Member

So, I just tried to open my 2019 return as well and my files are all missing after the update as well.  Has anyone received any resolution to this issue?  How could an update delete the existing tax files?  That is absolutely insane and worthy of a class action lawsuit.

Was this that huge recent WIN 10 update ?  If so look in the trash ... sometimes they get hidden there. 

ski-dc
Returning Member

It is post Win10 update, but I find it hard to believe files sitting under MyDocuments/TurboTax would be auto-deleted (by either TurboTax or Windows).  Oddly enough, I do still have one file in that folder "debug.log" from 2017.  Nothing else is in there, and log file itself just has a few lines of log data (nothing of value).  It's noteworthy because that means the whole directory wasn't cleared out.  Just the actual .tax<year> files.

Unfortunately, I frequently empty my recycle bin.  So, nothing in there.  I'm just SOL (and royally pissed, of course).  

Thanks for the suggestion, though.  

Don't know why some WIN 10 updates do goofy things however a word to the wise ... Look before you delete the trash  and  always save backups of all important files on a removable storage medium like a thumb drive as you never know when your computer could "catch a cold" or die.  

I  just installed Turbotax deluxe 2020 and discovered that my 2019 tax file had vanished (needed for 2020 to extract data from previous year's tax return).  Not only that, but since my backup portable drive is connected to my computer, I found that my backup was deleted also!!!!  I don't know when this happened and whether it was the result of a turbotax update or a windows.  I did a file search of my computer including the recycle bin, and the files were not there.  (I did clean up my recycle bin about four months ago so it might have been there at the time).  Now I only have the paper copy of my tax return and hope that I never have to amend it.

This is terrible and Intuit needs to recognize this is a problem and find a fix.

Update:  I called turbotax support to see if they could help me.  They said that this is a know problem and they are working on it, but apparently not very hard judging from the length of time since this was first reported on this thread. 

What's really annoying is they sent me a link where to the IRS where I could request a copy of my old return, and the email with the link had the title "case resolved"  !!1  No, it is not resolved.  Turbotax deleted two copies of my file and they were unable to restore them or even fix the software problem that caused it.

Susan001

What happened to 2019 data. I said”update” and then all disappeared 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@Susan001 Please see the TurboTax FAQ Find your tax data file (.tax file) in Windows for assistance with locating your 2019 data. If that doesn't work, please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support for further assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

As I mentioned in one of my replies above, I contacted Turbotax support after trying the steps recommended in in the find your tax file link.  They admitted the disappearance of files is an ongoing problem.  They made no attempt to help me recover my files and only provided a link to the IRS where you can ask for a paper copy of your return.  What's really annoying is that the email with the IRS link had the title Problem Solved.  This appears to be an ongoing issue based on this thread and Turbotax has NOT solved the problem.

prlyon

I also contacted their Tech Support. Answer was: so sorry, there isn't anything we can do!! Lady was very nice about giving me the bad news.

This is unacceptable from such a big company. If I hadn't already paid for the software, I probably would have gone to another vendor since I have to start all over from scratch.

If anyone finds a solution, please share.

blazer88

Hi, I experienced the same issue. My 2019 tax Turbotax file is missing. All my previous files from 2014 to 2018 are intact. I am using a Mac. Looking forward to a reply from Turbotax. It's appalling that this has been left unanswered. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you are using the Turbo Tax Desktop, Turbo Tax does not store your return. Turbo Tax will only have a copy of your return if you filed using Turbo Tax Online. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, and that’s why it’s terrible that TurboTax deletes the 2019 return when the 2020 TurboTax gets an update.  I lost my saved 2019 tax files because of this. You really need to fix this major bug!!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies