Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I started filing with Jackson Hewitt but it's not final without my w-2's can I just not finalize it and just use another company instead or am I stuck?

I don't like how much they cost
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies
MichaelDC

I started filing with Jackson Hewitt but it's not final without my w-2's can I just not finalize it and just use another company instead or am I stuck?

Yes, you can stop your existing return filing and move to TurboTax. The IRS will start accepting e-filed tax return on 01/23. In order to avoid problems and the need to file an amendment later, be sure to wait until you receive the actual W-2 before e-filing your return.

Here are links for TurboTax products:

Online: http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

Download/CD version: http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

[edited 1/15/2017; 11:14 AM EST]
Efmincey

If you haven't given jackson hewitt your w-2s they cannot file your taxes, right? What if you have signed paperwork to see if you qualify for one of their refund advance loans? I usually file with Turbotax but my sister begged me to try JH and I am afraid the cost of filing is way too much especially since I didn't qualify for the loan!!

@Efmincey wrote:

If you haven't given jackson hewitt your w-2s they cannot file your taxes, right? What if you have signed paperwork to see if you qualify for one of their refund advance loans? I usually file with Turbotax but my sister begged me to try JH and I am afraid the cost of filing is way too much especially since I didn't qualify for the loan!!

You are not obligated to file your tax return with JH just because you applied for an advance on the 2019 refund and it was denied.  You can use any tax preparation service/software, tax professional or complete your tax return manually, it is your choice.

ShayMarie

They sure did file mine without any of my documents W2, child care form, Just second to last check stub this is so frustrating!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, until a return is filed and accepted by the IRS, you may change your mind and use a different service to file your taxes. 

All tax preparing services are required to return to you any personal documents you provided to them, and you have the right to take your documents to a different preparer or use TurboTax to complete and file your return. 

You can always start in TurboTax Free Online. If your tax return needs certain schedules or other computations, you may be instructed to upgrade to a higher TurboTax program, but again, this will be your option, you are not obligated to pay until you decide to file. 

PLEASE CLICK HERE to learn more about the TurboTax products.

@raenishaallen

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Nisha1114

I received a 0apr tax anticipation loan from Jackson Hewitt in the amount of $500.00. Do I have to file with them ? Can I change my mind and use turbo tax if my taxes have not been accepted by the irs? Can they file without me there using my last two check stubs? Don’t they have to have my W-2’s and school tax document to file my taxes? They can’t just automatically file without me present, right?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

I do not know the terms and conditions associated with the loan product that you may have received through another company.  You would need to contact them to ask if you are required to file with them in order to pay back the loan proceeds.  

It is certainly unethical if not illegal for a return to be filed without your actual tax documents and your signature.  

If the return has not been filed, then you can still use TurboTax to file your return.  However, using TurboTax will not pay off any advance or loan you received and you will still owe that money (and possibly interest and fees) to the other company.  

@Nisha1114

So I did the same thing, however because JH has no idea what they are doing, after 4 days i still did not have my refund advance loan. And my return still had not been sent to IRS. So i filed here on turbo tax for alot less money. Mu return was accepted. And if I read the IRS correctly, you can cancel any time up to submission to IRS. 

Jgs117

I got an early refund advance from JH of $200 but the tax pro said I didn't have to file with them because they did not have my w-2 yet. So I went to Liberty where I've gone the past 2 years and have got the $1300 advance and filed with them and got denied this year? Why? It's through Republic Bank and they have my social and my refund is going through them anyway so why would I get denied?

Jgs117

Also I just got another w-2 from my previous employer that just came in and completely forgot about it but I already filed?

I thought Jackson Hewitt used Meta Bank, but i could be wrong. Im guessing though that it was showing up somewhere you got that refund advance so Liberty's refund advance was denied. Just guessing

Oh maybe thats why. You will have to wait to amend your return either once your return is rejected or approved i believe 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back.

You'll have wait until your return is either accepted or rejected.

• If rejected, you can make any necessary changes.
  • If accepted, you'll need to amend your return
  • To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.  You will need to print and mail the amendment.  
  • Allow 8-12 weeks for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up.

Did they give you that big packet too? They don’t have my w2 so they can’t file mine either so do I need to formally cancel or can I just file with TurboTax 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies