Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I started filing with Jackson Hewitt but it's not final without my w-2's can I just not finalize it and just use another company instead or am I stuck?

You went to a Jackson Hewitt storefront but you did not complete the return?  You still have your W-2’s and other materials?

You probably did not file and should be able to switch to TurboTax, if you would like.  If Jackson Hewitt did file your tax return, you will find out when you attempt to transmit with TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
NT1225

I started filing with Jackson Hewitt but it's not final without my w-2's can I just not finalize it and just use another company instead or am I stuck?

Might wanna check back with them when you get your w2. I’ve filed with them for over 10 years and they have never filed without a w2 and you have to actually sign the tax documents. I get the refund advance all the time and it’s not the same as actually filing your taxes. 

NT1225

Because you got the loan already when you did the refund advance through Jackson Hewitt. Now you owe that $200 and won’t get approved again because of going somewhere else. 

ShayMarie

Be careful with JH I went to them last year and they filed my return using my check stubs and without my consent. I had to do a amendment.

I think they are charging me too much and they did not do it right is it anyway I can cancel before they actually send my taxes to the IRS I did TurboTax last year and I'm thinking about doing it again myself

Ok thanks 

@Fredboykin85   Don't understand your question.  Are you working on 2021 or 2022?  Who charged you too much and did it wrong?  Turbo Tax is a self prepared return and is only based on your entries.   It is too early to file 2022 so you have lots of time to fix it and change anything.

No I was going to get a advance from Jackson Hewitt but the estimate they gave me wasn't right and then the loan that I was trying to give you wasn't right neither and I haven't got anything yet so I was wondering can I cancel

@Fredboykin85 We cannot tell you what Jackson Hewitt will do.  If you signed any paperwork with them you need to read it and see what you agreed to.   Or talk to Jackson Hewitt.  TurboTax is a completely separate service with no control over Jackson Hewitt.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
KieraW88

• Can I file my taxes somewhere else if I got an advance loan with Jackson Hewitt. 
  •  

@KieraW88 We have no idea what you signed with Jackson Hewitt-----so read your papers very carefully.  Sounds like you accepted a refund advance from them.  We cannot say if that obligated you to file with them--nor do we know if they even already filed your tax return.  It is up to you to figure all of that out.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
KieraW88

I haven't process my W2 yet I honestly really don't like Jackson Hewitt because I have three kids an they trying to give me a less refund back 

@KieraW88 Not sure what you mean when you say they are giving you "less refund."  Any tax software has to follow all of the tax laws, so if you enter the same income and same information into any tax software you should get the same results.   Maybe what you do not like is the fee that Jackson Hewitt is going to charge you.  Your refund should be the same whether you use TurboTax, H & R Block, Jackson Hewitt, etc. etc.   -- unless you entered something different into the software.    But...we cannot tell you what you signed.  Read your papers and see if you have to use them to file your return.  Any way you cut it, you will have to repay the loan they gave you if you accepted the money.

Your refund might be less this year because the Child Tax Credits went back to the old rules and you don't get as much as you did in 2021.  Last year you got 3,600 for a child under 6 and 3,000 for older.  How old are your kids?  

If the "less refund" is due to the child tax credit....that is because the rules for the CTC changed for 2022.

The rules for getting the child tax credit on a 2021 tax return and now on a 2022 return are very different.  For 2021 you could get $3600 for a child under 6 or $3000 for a child between 6 and 17 even if you had no income/did not work.   That is NOT the way it will work for your 2022 tax return.  The “old” rules are back.   The maximum amount of the child tax credit is now $2000; the refundable “additional child tax credit” amount is $1500.   In order to get that credit, you have to have income from working.  The credit is calculated based on the amount you earned above $2500 multiplied by 15%, up to the full $1500.  If your child is older than 16 at the end of 2022, you do not get the CTC.  But you may still get the non-refundable $500 credit for other dependents instead.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900923-what-is-the-child-tax-credit

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/does-my-childdependent-qualify-for-the-child-tax-credit-or-the-credit-f...

And for the Earned Income Credit—-the rules are back to the “old” rules—

Those under 25 and over 65 without children are not eligible as they were uniquely in 2021.   And you cannot use your income from any earlier tax year to get the EIC for a 2022 return.  There is no “lookback” for 2022.  EIC for 2022 will be based on the income you earned by working in 2022.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899157-what-are-the-qualifications-for-the-earned-income-credit-e...

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/use-the-eitc-assistant

Look at your 2022 Form 1040 to see the child-related credits you received

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Child Tax Credit line 19

Credit for Other Dependents line 19

Earned Income Credit line 27

Additional Child Tax Credit line 28

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies