Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jgp3d

I can't clear my return and start over because I already paid for Primier online, and now can't import last years Turbotax file from my compurter.

The main reason I upgraded was to import this file, and now it's telling me this is not possible because I already paid and started my return and it can't be cleared. Is there any way to solve this problem? I am very disappointed in the lack of alerts about this issue BEFORE you start using the online service. 
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I can't clear my return and start over because I already paid for Primier online, and now can't import last years Turbotax file from my compurter.

You have two choices.

1) Call TurboTax Customer Service on Monday when the open. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263

2) Since your .tax2015 file is physically on your computer, create a new online account and start anew.  To do that, log out of the account you're using right now. Then below the password field select the "create account" link and go from there. You can create up to 5 accounts per e-mail address. Now for the really important stuff that everybody forgets.

*WRITE DOWN THE LOGIN INFORMATION FOR ALL ACCOUNTS!*  Otherwise, you'll be confused beyond help next tax filing season.

jgp3d

Thanks so much. Just one more question then. When I create the new account with the same email address, will that attach my purchase of the Online Premier to the new account as well? Obviously, I don't want to pay twice!

Sorry no.  You need to call in and ask for a refund for the first account or for a Service code for the new account.  How to Contact Customer Service        <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5566005">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5566005</a>
diogenes

This is ridiculous that this is such a common problem, and the only solution is "Well, just make a new account every year."

You don't have to make a new account each for anything.  You can transfer from the prior year without needing a new account.
diogenes

Re:"You don't have to make a new account each for anything. You can transfer from the prior year without needing a new account." The answer recommended above says 1) call customer support, or 2) create a new account. If you have a way to fix this problem ourselves without creating a new account, please post it, it would be very helpful. It seems to benefit neither the customer nor Intuit to have a lot of people creating new accounts just to solve this import problem. Also, creating a new account after Premier had already been purchased would mean the user has to buy Premier again on the new account! See also "You cannot clear your return. Once you register your tax return, or pay any TurboTax fees, we can no longer clear and start over."
diogenes

Also, creating a new account after Premier had already been purchased would mean the user has to buy Premier again on the new account!

I'm having the same problem and I've called customer service and looked through the forums. It's still not resolved and Im going to have to call tomorrow when I can to make sure I'm not charged behind my back but It seems like turbo tax doesn't even have a solution for this problem. This isn't a small problem, this is a major problem that many people are having and needs to a resolution ASAP because they're going to lose more and more customers. I feel like they put resolving this as a low priority because its probably where they make a lot their money. Shady practice. This is probably my last time using this program.

jiang

I'm facing the same problem after realizing I miss a 1099B form. I have to create a amended tax return doc. Not sure if IRS accepts it or not. Cannot imagine such an important feature is missing in turbotax.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Amendments have to be paper filed.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sjack137
Returning Member

But would my payment information roll over? into the new account 

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@sjack137 If you are referring to creating a new account, then you will need to reach out to TurboTax Customer Care and they will be able to answer those questions.

The best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need is to select the version you are using below. Use the web form and type your question or a keyword.  You will get an appropriate phone number for your issue. (You will not get a phone number if you use the link outside of operating hours.) We're open daily from 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM PT.

I was in the same predicament, however I found a loop hole!

Simply go to tools --> Delete a Tax Document --> and start deleting all your tax documents. 

Voila! Your numbers for both your Fed and State will eventually roll back to 0, and you can begin entering your information like you initally did!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies