turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

slrn

Can turbotax Premier 2017 run on macOS El Capitan version 10.11.6? It appears to load from the CD successfully, but when opened, checks for updates and shuts itself down.

I am running macOS 10.11.6, 2GB memory, more than 100 free GB on hard drive on an older (pre-late-2009) iMac.

I read the recent FAQ "TurboTax 2017 for Mac OSX 10.11.6 Error: 'TurboTax quit unexpectedly' after the most recent update," and then followed the instructions to uninstall turbotax Premier 2017 and reinstall it to get the most recent update. It updated. I clicked on the upgrade dialog box "Install and Reload." 

Then when I try to open turbotax2017, I get a dialog box which says "Please wait while we verify everything is up to date" and then it seems to just shut itself down and the turbotax icon disappears from the dock.

Help please - I've been using TurboTax successfully on this iMac for many years and want to do so this 2017 tax year. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
Arunkumar

Can turbotax Premier 2017 run on macOS El Capitan version 10.11.6? It appears to load from the CD successfully, but when opened, checks for updates and shuts itself down.

Sorry that you are facing this issue. Kindly let us know if you can go to the location ~/Library/Logs/ and copy the files com.intuit.turbotax.<with timestamp> and TurboTaxSparkleUpdateLog.log and share with us.

To share the files, you can click on contribute an answer at the bottom of the screen and then you will see attach files option, through which you can share.
rawulff

I am having the exact same issue with OS 10.11.6-

I'm having the same issue with TurboTax Home & Business 2017 on my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.  I've been through the install/update/uninstall/re-install process a few times, with the same results "Please wait while we verify everything is up to date", and then TurboTax shuts down.  The very first time I installed it, there was a message stating that this was the last tax year (2017) TurboTax would work on my version of OS X, and that I would need to upgrade for the next tax year.  The problem is that Apple has capped my OS X updates at 10.11.6 because of my CPU,  an Intel Core 2 Duo, a dual core CPU running at 2.4 GHz (with 4 GB of main memory) which Apple has decided can't running OS X beyond El Capitan.

@bruceajohnson - You can sign up to be notified when TurboTax solves this issue.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4143962-turbotax-2017-for-mac-osx-10-11-6-error-turbotax-quit-unex...>

It is difficult for software companies like TurboTax to develop new software for Mac if they use the Apple supplied development tools that do not support old OS's.    You can still use the online versions with a browser but it lacks all of the desktop features.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
slrn

To TurboTaxArunkumar

Thank you for your quick response.

I am able to go into my ~/Library/Logs/ and have found the files com.intuit.turbotax.<with timestamp> and TurboTaxSparkleUpdateLog.log.

There is no TurboTax2017 SparkleUpdateLog - the last is from my successful update of TurboTax2016 last year.

The Attach Files function will not allow me to attach any of the three com.intuit.turbotax.<with timestamp> log files from my latest attempt to load, update, and open TurboTax2017.  The last two log files end as follows:

Unhandled Exception:
System.ExecutionEngineException: SIGILL
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.ExecutionEngineException: SIGILL

It seems like overkill to copy-and-paste the complete text of the three log files into an Answer, but I will do it if that will help.

I will appreciate any help you can provide, and thanks!

quark45

I've been instructed that if you upgrade to HIGH Sierra (NOT Sierra), TT 2017 SHOULD work.  But haven't tried it yet. Afraid to upgrade due to possible bugs. Angst ridden.
rawulff

I have the same issue, there is NO- TT 2017 SparkleUpdateLog. I have reinstalled TT several times with the same results.

This only affects some Mac users on OS 10.11.6.   10.12 & 10.13 both are fine.

See: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4143962-turbotax-2017-for-mac-osx-10-11-6-error-turbotax-quit-unex...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

We've been using TurboTax for many years now.  Last year had an issue, but it eventually installed.  But for 2017, now that we are reading all the issues with installation on mac 10.11.6, we decided to buy H&R Block cd and will try installing that.  It's on sale too now.
slrn

To TurboTaxArunkumar

Thank you for your quick response.

I am able to go into my ~/Library/Logs/ and have found the files com.intuit.turbotax.<with timestamp> and TurboTaxSparkleUpdateLog.log.

There is no TurboTax2017 SparkleUpdateLog - the last is from my successful update of TurboTax2016 last year.

The Attach Files function will not allow me to attach any of the three com.intuit.turbotax.<with timestamp> log files from my latest attempt to load, update, and open TurboTax2017.  The last two log files end as follows:

Unhandled Exception:
System.ExecutionEngineException: SIGILL
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.ExecutionEngineException: SIGILL

It seems like overkill to copy-and-paste the complete text of the three log files into an Answer, but I will do it if that will help.

I will appreciate any help you can provide, and thanks!

Sounds like you are on OS 10.11.6 and are experiencing this issue:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4143962-turbotax-2017-for-mac-osx-10-11-6-error-turbotax-quit-unex...>

the work-around is not complete and that FAQ needs to be rewritten.  The work-around cannot work if the download itself contains the problem since 1) there is then not way to get an update if TT will not even run, and 2) users in  the other thread that I posted are reporting the the latest update does not solve the problem.

Please see this ongoing thread about this issue.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4142911-trying-to-install-turbotax-2017-on-my-mac-and-keep-getting...>
slrn

Yes, that's the issue I am having. I followed the FAQ recommendation to the letter, and it did not work. I will await completion of the work-around. Thanks for the up-to-date information.

Like I said, if the software you downloaded has the issue, then re-downloading it won't help.   The FAQ assumes that the update broke the software that was installed from a CD or a download before the problem existed, but recent downloads have been updated to the bad update so the work-around  can't work.

BTW:  one surefire way to solve the issue it to upgrade to OS 10.12.6 (I don't recommend 10.13 yet).  If your computer supports it you can get it here: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931?locale=en_US">https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931?locale=en_US</...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies