Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

OmgTaxes
Returning Member

How do I get more than 5 efiles? Is there another product with additional efiles>

OK, yes, I pointed that out: Turbotax does not provide any PTIN entry field. 

It is NOT illegal for any professional to use Turbotax.  That is patently false.  Professionals use Turbotax every day.  There is no prohibition against it whatsoever, and the printed copy of your return when you print it out has the preparer line in it, which the preparer signs and hands to their customer as is the law.

Just because a system is configured a certain way in order to help Intuit channel profits & recoup the money it pays out in lobbying efforts, does not mean that it is illegal for professionals to use the least expensive methods available to benefit their clients.  There is no codified law whatsoever that prevents any professional from utilizing Turbotax.  Not anywhere.

Even with all that being said, there is actually no law nor IRS regulation that specifically prevents a private individual from e-filing more than 5 times in a year either.   The IRS purposefully does not address that at all and nowhere in any IRS regulation is it expressly restrict any private citizen to e-file only 5 returns per year. 

It can be a bit of a stretch to infer that such a restriction exists by citing the software provider restrictions, but noplace is anyone expressly prevented from doing so.  With that gray area existing, it is best to simply get a PTIN in order to do that and be perfectly safe.  Those restrictions exist only per-software package sold, period.

So buy another copy; get around whatever blocks Intuit themselves has placed in your way solely to make more money, and have at it, because no law or restrictions exists against buying another copy and e-filing to your heart's content.

How do I get more than 5 efiles? Is there another product with additional efiles>

The preparer can not sign on the preparer line in Turbo Tax.  Only in the Intuit Professional programs.  Have you seen the Terms of Service?

Here is the Online License agreement
https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/license/online.jsp 

Or if you used the Desktop program,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/license/desktop.jsp 

IT IS MOST ILLEGAL FOR ANY PAID TAX PRO TO USE THE TT PROGRAM BECAUSE THEY CANNOT SIGN THE RETURN THAT THEY MUST EFILE.    ALL PAID TAX PROS MUST USE A PROFESSIONAL TAX PROGRAM AND BE AN EFILING PARTNER WITH THE IRS IF THEY FILE MORE THAN 5 RETURNS PER YEAR.  

READ UP ON THE RULES HERE : 

If you are a specified tax return preparer, you are required to e-file the covered returns you prepare and file. There are certain exceptions. (See FAQ 12). In those situations, you should attach Form 8948, Preparer Explanation for Not Filing ElectronicallyPDF, to those paper returns.   

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/frequently-asked-questions-e-file-requirements-for-specified-ta....

this year I purchased the desktop software but it made set up an account with Turbo Tax can I still prepare and e-file my 4 family members returns?   

@jahimel1107 wrote:

this year I purchased the desktop software but it made set up an account with Turbo Tax can I still prepare and e-file my 4 family members returns?   

The TurboTax account is required to access the license code when install the software on up to 5 computers that you own.  It has nothing to do with the number of tax returns you can complete and file using the installed software.  You receive 5 free federal tax return e-files using the TurboTax desktop editions.  If you have more than 5 tax returns to e-file any further tax returns can only be printed and mailed.

@jahimel1107 wrote:

The license code that came with the program is now linked to your online account and can only be used to install the program on other computers that you own.  But this does not change the number of tax returns you can prepare.  You can still prepare as many returns as you like. The first 5 can be e-filed (this is a limit from the IRS) and if you have more, you can print and mail them. 

If some of the returns are simple you can use one of the online free options if you need to file more than 5 returns.  

TurboTax Free Edition is very limited. It's only for the simplest tax returns. But if you have pension or IRA income on a 1099-R, with no complications, you can probably use Free Edition.  

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online

If your AGI is $79,000 or less you can probably use IRS Free File.

And the IRS is testing a pilot program called Direct File ...  https://www.irs.gov/about-irs/strategic-plan/direct-file

Buy another copy of TurboTax and activate it using another intuit account.

@Average User Buying another copy is not the answer.   The limit of five federal e-files is an IRS limit.  The IRS will not let you e-file more than five returns even if you try to use another copy of the software.   If you have more than five, the extra ones can be filed by mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes it is the answer. I know. I did it. It works.

Separate email address and separate computers must be what allows me to file more than 5.  I help my three daughters, my very very senior parents, my disabled sister, my very very senior aunt and myself using two computers. Each return is efiled using the tax payors email address and phone number.  I simply help walk them through the process of answering questions, but ultimately, it is there return and thus emails and phone numbers are entered unique to the person.  The Turbo Tax product is purchased and used under my account and per their rules, I can load it on up to 5 computers and file as many returns as I want, I just can't email more than 5 (from my email address) and I don't; however all but two come from my IP address because they come to my house for the help.  With my two Florida daughters, I help them when I visit and thus use their IP address.  So that may be the reason why I have no issues filing more than 5; albeit from the program, not from my email address. 

I did buy another program and a different email. But it is still saying I have already done five returns. How do I fix this?

@Rradclyffe You cannot fix it by using another copy of the software with a different email.  You are trying to defeat an IRS limit.  The five federal e-files is an IRS limit.  If you have more than five federal returns to file, the additional ones have to be filed by mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
tkwooten

I only e-filed 4 returns so far and was given a message saying I couldn't e-file the fifth one because of the 5 e-file limit.  How do I correct this issue? I only e-filed 4 returns, not five. 

I am filing returns for my kids and parents.  I am not a paid preparer.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies