Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

natashard

How do I find out what my Self Select Pin is from last year?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you don't remember it, you do have another option moving forward. The Self-Select PIN is a random 5-digit number that you enter as your electronic signature when e-filing your return. You can reuse your Self-Select PIN from last year or enter your AGI from last year's tax return. It doesn’t matter which option you choose.

For identification purposes, you need to enter either last year’s Self-Select PIN or  your adjusted gross income (AGI). The IRS requires your AGI for identity verification. To locate your AGI, please see the FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MARIOM512

It does not let me file solely using my AGI for state income tax. Also, it says the drivers license info is voluntary, yet it won't let me proceed without that either. I entered my info, but my spouse does not have one.

RejectedReturn1
Returning Member

Thanks for the response.  However, I believe the question was, "How do I find my self-select PIN?"  The answer did not address how to find the PIN.

I have entered in the correct AGI, but I am still getting rejected.  It must be because of the PIN.  If someone could provide advice on how to find the self-select PIN that would be great.  Thank you!

JCarlton

"For identification purposes, you need to enter either last year’s Self-Select PIN or  your adjusted gross income"

That would be wonderful but TT requires me to put in a PIN number for 2020 filing and IRS is rejecting my return because either the AGI or PIN is incorrect.  I have verified the AGI to be correct.  How can I find the PIN that was filed with 2019 return.  I did file 2019 late on May 3, 2020.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

The Self-Select PIN is a random 5-digit number that you enter as your electronic signature when e-filing your return. The PIN number was a random number that you chose last year and is not kept in our system. Only you have access to that number. The IRS is asking for your last year's Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) in lieu of that PIN number.

You can use last year's AGI. The original AGI is the amount from your prior year originally filed return as accepted by IRS. The amount can be located on:

• Form 1040 - Line 38
  • Form 1040A - Line 21
  • Form 1040EZ - Line 4

Do not enter a corrected amount or the amount from an amended tax return.

For the purpose of signing your electronic return, you can reuse your Self-Select PIN from last year or create a new one to use, it doesn’t matter which option you choose.

You create your own Self-Select PIN. You do not register the PIN with the IRS before filing or need to contact the IRS to get it.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ's below for additional assistance:

Most of the responses here are boiler plate and Assume you are using TT online, that's ok but does not help us CD/Download users. 

TT does have the info you need if you have saved your tax return file (* .Tax20xx).  Open the file with the same version of TT that matches the file suffix (*.Tax20xx) *.Tax2019 in this case.  

After opening the Tax File

• Select the Menu (at top) item  View > Forms
  • In the Forms List select Form 1040 Individual > Info Wks

Scroll to the bottom and the last section (for 2019) will show what you the PIN you used to file.

To save this form select the PRINT button at bottom of the view form section.

In the FORM SELECTION window DO NOT Select the PRINT PDF - it will not print the PIN info block.

Instead Select Preview Print Copy, your PDF Viewer will display; 

Scroll to bottom to verify the PIN info block is there

(NOTE: At the very bottom of the PDF are smart W2 work sheets, scroll UP to find the PIN Info block).

FINALLY in your PDF Viewer select File > Save As and save the PDF with your other saved tax files (I added INFO WKS to the name.

This also works for TT 2020.

Remember if you are keeping Hard / PDF copies of your forms to ALSO PDF the INFO Wks form using the above procedure.  This is because TT does NOT print "all" of the info on the Info Wks form when you select the usual Print PDF 

In additional the INFO WKS form also has your BANK info if you need to verify where you sent the money for an EFT deposit.  I recently had my BANK change its Routing number (they were purchased by another bank) and it messed up my COVID 2nd deposit since the IRS did not get the change in Routing number.

I need my self select pin forgot it

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You do not need to use the same self-select pin every year.  You can make up any number to enter. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The 5 digit self-selected efile Pin will be included in the Federal Information worksheet, shown on Page 4 of the worksheet.  The worksheet is included in the PDF of the  tax return that you can download if you used the online editions.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

@legowskyd2 

The reason all the answers are for the online program is because the downloaded program users have access to this info all the time at will ...  all they have to do is access from the FORMS mode.  

And in case you didn't already know .... 

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

azalizny

You can request a tax return transcript by mail for a particular year from IRS by calling our automated phone transcript service at [phone number removed].  Transcripts arrive in 5 to 10 calendar days at the address IRS has on file for you.

From the transcript you can see the AGI from IRS official site and the PIN if you entered it on your tax return for that year.

azalizny

here is the phone number: [phone number removed] -- IRS automated phone transcript service.

@azalizny   Stop trying to post phone numbers ...  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies