Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Bhavani

How do I file with 1040-SR

However, it is important to use the SR because it gives you the higher standard deduction of $14, 250, according to my understanding.

@Bhavani No----you get the higher standard deduction based on your date of birth whether you use the Form 1040 or 1040SR.  There is absolutely no difference in the way the tax return is calculated whether you are on 1040 or 1040SR.  The only difference is the size of the print.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So does the regular 1040.  The 1040SR is exactly the same as the 1040  JUST BIGGER TYPE so it prints on 3 pages instead of 2.

For 2021 the standard deduction amounts are:

Single 12,550 + 1,700 for 65 and over or blind (14,250)

HOH 18,800 + 1,700 for 65 and over or blind

Joint 25,100 + 1,350 for each 65 and over or blind

Married filing Separate 12,550 + 1,350 for 65 and over or blind

Bhavani

Terrific! Just wanted to be sure I get all the deductions I've earned by my gray hair! Ha ha!

Bhavani

Terrific! Just have to check to be sure my correct age is entered in TurboTax.

ndconditt
Returning Member

1040 FORM 2020

@ndconditt What is your question?   You have not asked a question.  We do not know what you are trying to ask about a 2020 1040SR.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JC_CPA
Returning Member

I preparing my return on Turbox, and I am over age 65.  Yet the information shows on a Form 1040.   I input my birth day several times to see if that would change the form.  It didn't.  Please advise...

@ JC_CPA wrote:

I preparing my return on Turbox, and I am over age 65.  Yet the information shows on a Form 1040.   I input my birth day several times to see if that would change the form.  It didn't.  Please advise...

Are you using Online TurboTax or desktop software (CD/download?)

"the information shows on a Form 1040"

How are you viewing it?    We don't know what product you're using and how/where you are looking at the Form 1040.  Did you print out a copy of your return, and if so, did it print a regular Form 1040 and not Form 1040-SR?   Or are you using the Preview function inside Online TurboTax to view the Form 1040 prior to filing?

The only difference between a Form 1040 and Form 1040-SR is the size of the font; thus the Form 1040-SR has 3 pages, while a Form 1040 has 2 pages.   In the Online product, when it comes time to print the return, I believe it will default to Form 1040-SR for those 65 and older.  In the desktop product there is a way to choose which one of the Form 1040s that one wants.

JC_CPA
Returning Member

Solved.  Indeed, the return prints out as a form 1040-SR.  Thank you for prompt reply.

@JC_CPA wrote:

Solved.  Indeed, the return prints out as a form 1040-SR.  Thank you for prompt reply.

You're welcome.  Good luck.

1040-sr  rejected due to no signature what to do? 

@floratom1978 - did you paper file and not sign the return? since it is a reject, just print, sign and attached the W-2, etc again.... and then mail.. figure it'll be 6-9 months until it is processed given the IRS backlogs. 

@floratom1978 Do you mean that the IRS sent your return back to you because you did not sign it?   Then get a blue or black pen out and sign it on page 2 next to the words "Sign here" and put it in an envelope again and mail it.  When you file a tax return by mail you are required to sign it in ink. 

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

And...since mailed returns are taking a long time, expect it to take six to nine months to be processed.   

Or switch to e-file and e-file it.

To change to e-filing:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-change-from-mail-to-e-file-in-turbotax-online...

wjs28ul

I filed 1040-SR last year how can I do it again

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies