Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I file with 1040-SR

@wjs28ul The Form 1040 and Form 1040SR are identical except that the 1040SR has bigger print.  It is used automatically by the software if the date of  birth you enter  shows that you are 65 or older.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I logged in today to file my 2022 federal and state tax return, but I didn't see the 1040SR tax form. I have a simple return with pension and social security and don't want to be taxed 100% on social security income. So far, I can't continue because there is no way to get the totals correct. In tax year 2021 I used the 1040Sr form and things turned out well.

If you (or your spouse) are 65 or older you automatically get the 1040SR. It is the same as the regular 1040 just larger type so it is on 3 pages instead of 2. When you efile the form doesn’t get sent just the data. It only shows up if you download or print your return.

When you print it will print on the 1040SR even if you see only the 1040 on the screen. You automatically get the 1040SR if you or your spouse is 65 or older. In the Desktop program you can tell it which one to print.

And SS is never 100% taxable.  The 1040SR uses the same calculations as the regular 1040.   Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check the actual 1040 form and make sure it's right. Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

Mamawof8

Form 1040-SR is completed by seniors.  After you enter your date of birth, this form will automatically complete with the information you complete.

Zayla2001

Help

Would you clarify what you need help with?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Zayla2001 

All you posted here was "Help."   We cannot see your tax return or your screen.   We can help but tell us what the problem is.  We cannot guess.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies