turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

filing status

Why does it appear turbo tax is filing two separate returns on the same computer?  One has no info in it.   How do I cancel the second unfiled return in lieu of the completed return that I can't seem to find now to make additional copies?  How can I verify if turbo Tax actually completed and filed my extension done 10/15/21?

Also when I added 2020 TurboTax to a second computer it started a separate return too.   How do I get the second computer to merge with the completed turbo tax return (if there is one)?

DO YOU SHOW A COMPLETED AND FILED RETURN FOR US IN 2020?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

filing status

You are posting from the CD/download for Home and Business.  No one in the user forum---or online TurboTax---can see any  information about your tax return.   Your tax files are only stored on your own hard drive.  They are not stored online, nor can anyone access any information about them online.   

Go to the FILE section in your software program to check your filing status to see if the return was filed and accepted.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901659-find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900721-find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

filing status

First you only file one return at a time from one tax file... the empty return will not be sent.

If you have a second one listed on the landing page just ignore it.  

filing status

For the second computer - you will have to copy the tax data file from the first computer, it has a file extension of .tax2020 for the 2020 tax return.  It is stored by default in the Documents directory in the TurboTax folder.  Then install the tax data file on the second computer.

Start the TurboTax 2020 program on the second computer.  Click on the File menu at the top left of the desktop program screen.  Click on Open Tax Return.  Browse to where you installed the tax data file.

filing status

BUT If your .tax2020 File has any state returns in it you need to first download the state program.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN)

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.  

You can check the filing status of a return,

For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program.  Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies