turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FAILED_VALIDATION. There is an update available for your version of TurboTax - 2022 edition

Hi Intuit,

I posted the same issue last year: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/failed-validation-there-is-an-update-available-fo...

Since you haven't addressed it, here we go again, I guess.

Once again, my TurboTax Deluxe 2022 Desktop edition claims to be up-to-date when I check for updates. It is not.

I have tried installing the manual update off this page: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/update-products/manually-update-turbotax... (filename w_perrelsuperpatchIS_ttax_[phone number removed].exe).

When I try to E-file my federal return on this version, I get the error message: "FAILED_VALIDATION. There is an update available for your version of TurboTax"

Last year, I was able to get around this by running and auto-updating TurboTax on a Windows 10 machine. This year, even that doesn't work.

Have you guys abandoned this product? How hard would it be to ask one of your developers to spend half a day fixing the auto-updater?

If you aren't going to do that, could you AT LEAST release an up-to-date patch that can actually be used to submit returns? I really don't feel like wasting time on this issue every year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

FAILED_VALIDATION. There is an update available for your version of TurboTax - 2022 edition

Why do you think the software is not up-to-date if it says that it is up-to-date when you check for updates?

The manual update on the web page that you cited is not up-to-date. I assume that's why you get an error when you try to install the out-of-date manual update. But you don't need a manual update if your software is already up-to-date.

1. I install the program fresh off the DVD

2. I go to "Check for updates" and it says "Your software is up to date" even though I am on version 022[dot]000[dot]0198.

3. I try to submit the return, and it gives me a "FAILED_VALIDATION. There is an update available" error because I am trying to submit from an old version.

I hope you understand why I don't buy that the program is actually up-to-date.

That's when I went looking for the manual update, which also didn't work because the latest manual patch is out of date.

@zreddy 

Yeah...

1) never buy the disk, always buy the direct download installation file.  The download version is always the most recent version (or at least real close).

2) As I noted in your other post... check for and Run any Windows OS updates first. There was a recent Windows update last week, and that has been known to block TTX updates.  Restart Windows and Reboot at least twice before re-attempting the TTX update again.

3)  When you run TTX, try the "Run As Administrator" when restarting TTX.  Then try the update.

(Rt-click on the TTX icon).

4) All else fails, call TTX Customer Support and see if they will issue you a current installation file. Then uninstall your own TTX software and re-install that new .exe installation file.

(not sure they are open Memorial Day, so maybe tomorrow)

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Did you activate TurboTax before you checked for updates?

Does your computer meet all of the Minimum System Requirements?

Are you using Windows in S mode? You cannot run TurboTax in S mode.

What kind of internet connection do you have? Is it broadband (fiber or cable)?

If none of this helps, please call TurboTax support for help. I don't think they're working today, Memorial Day. You will have to wait until Tuesday.

There have not been other reports of this problem, so I have to assume that there is something unique about your computer configuration that is causing the problem.

SteamTrain:
Last year I had a direct download (from Amazon) version. This year it was from a disc. Same issue.

No Windows updates left. I installed them all.

Running as an administrator didn't help.

rjs:
Yes, TurboTax is activated.
Yes, my almost new computer running Windows 11 meets the minimum requirements.
No, I am not using S mode. I suspect that if I was and TurboTax doesn't support it, I wouldn't have been able to make it this far.

As for your final claim, what are you smoking? A few seconds of searching this forum produced these hits:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/does-not-efile-failed-validation-there-is-an-upda...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/can-you-help-to-resolve-the-e-file-transmission-d...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/failed-validation/00/2237330

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/deluxe-ready-to-efile-but-ea-time-says-difficulty...

This issue is neither new nor unique to my machine(s).

Anyway, I finally got around the issue by having a family member with TurboTax submit the return for me from their machine.

So, Intuit, what's the fix here?  I've been trying to file my GA state return for two weeks and continuously get this error despite following every bit of advice in this community and then some.  eFile is already paid for.  Do I just dispute the charge on my credit card, print and mail, then write off using TurboTax forever? This is insanity.

@AndrewC75 - this is a COMMUNITY Board -  Intuit doesn't necessarily read these boards....  From other posts, this GA issue is a known issue,

Rather than trying over and over, wait until Thursdays. Turbo Tax updates their software over Wednesday nights into Thursday mornings.   Trying to see if this work between now and then if fruitless. 

@AndrewC75 

Just try a software update every Friday morning for the next few weeks (software updates usually occur on Wed or Thurs evenings...this last week it appeared to be Thursday night sometime and update was dated the 14th...Friday)....if you get a software update, try again.  If no software update downloads and installs, then trying to file again is useless.

Yes....the GA filing issue appears to be limited to just GA e-filing and only started up at the end of June.

Supposedly it is being worked on.

_________

IF you end up deciding to change GA to file-by-mail becasue you don't want to wait for a "fix", and you should be able to get a credit for the $25 e-filing fee by calling Customer Support.....and indicate you have a "Billing Issue"  (in the off-season, they are only open weekdays during the hours listed).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

How do I get a refund for the e-filing? I need to file it manually b/c I'm still getting a "Failed Validation" Msg even after installing the manual update patch. Ugh! I also restarted my computer, but I'm still getting the error.

I think I've stumbled upon a fix for this.   

was getting same "Failed Validation" error as everyone else.  

I went through the "Help Center" to the Manual Update page.    Closed TT and did the Manual Update, moved the update from the Downloads folder to the Windows Desktop as directed.   I ran the update.  Duh.  

so, the trick I think is the next step -   

Started up TT, and let it check for updates,  then realized that maybe this is the problem, the latest update?   So, I told I cancelled out of the update, and basically had to close TT to get it to stop trying to download and install the update.   

Then - the **REAL TRICK**  I started TT and told it NOT to check for updates.  and then loaded my return and went to filing again, hit "Transmit Return" and it actually WORKED!!  

So,  the basic is - install the MANUAL UPDATE from their website, and then do NOT let TT check for updates when you start it back up, then file.  

anyone else try this?  

-L of D 

@zreddy 

I think I've stumbled upon a fix for this.   

was getting same "Failed Validation" error as everyone else.  

I went through the "Help Center" to the Manual Update page.    Closed TT and did the Manual Update, moved the update from the Downloads folder to the Windows Desktop as directed.   I ran the update.  Duh.  

so, the trick I think is the next step -   

Started up TT, and let it check for updates,  then realized that maybe this is the problem, the latest update?   So, I told I cancelled out of the update, and basically had to close TT to get it to stop trying to download and install the update.   

Then - the **REAL TRICK**  I started TT and told it NOT to check for updates.  and then loaded my return and went to filing again, hit "Transmit Return" and it actually WORKED!!  

So,  the basic is - install the MANUAL UPDATE from their website, and then do NOT let TT check for updates when you start it back up, then file.  

anyone else try this?  

-L of D 

@SteamTrain 

as of today 7/17/2023, the auto-updates from TT still lead to the failed validation problem, so waiting for Intuit to correct their updates hasn't worked yet.    Already posted this solution, but the quick version - get the manual update found through their help section, run the patch/update, restart TT, do NOT let it check for updates again, and then transmit your return.

-

Thank U for UR help, but I'm still getting that STUPID "Failed Validation" error.

I'm NOT wasting any more time on this. I need a REFUND. I don't mind filing manually.

How do I get my $25 back?

@gamble43 

Call Customer Support.   Pay attention to their working hours noted in the FAQ below.

Indicate you have a "Billing Error"  (Do Not use the word "refund").

They should be able to issue a credit to you for a state tax return e-file that won't go thru.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies