turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FAILED_VALIDATION. There is an update available for your version of TurboTax

When I hit "Transmit Returns Now" in my TurboTax 2021 Deluxe Desktop edition, I get this prompt "FAILED_VALIDATION. There is an update available for your version of TurboTax. Before you can file electronically, you'll need to get this update. To do this, go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates".

When I do that, it spends a few seconds checking, then says, "Your software is up to date".

Realizing that my auto-updater may be broken for whatever reason, I installed the patch from https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke..., but I'm still getting this validation error. I guess the patch (version [phone number removed]) isn't the latest version that your API expects?!

What am I supposed to do about this? My current version of TurboTax.exe is 2021.47.21.82.

Also, I don't get why the software needs a hundred different version numbers, none of which corresponds to the version number in the patch file. And I don't get why you don't do basic quality control and ensure that the updater works.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

The link in your post is not working; can you please confirm whether this is the manual update used?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, confirmed.

Ebony A
Intuit Alumni

Ok; thanks. Since this is manual update that you tried and your issue persists, I would suggest contacting our support team via phone to get one-on-one troubleshooting assistance. Contact details can be found here. In the interim, please review the Turbo Tax CD/Download system requirements.

For anyone else reading this, TurboTax' auto updater works on Windows 10. So try running the software on a Windows 10 machine rather than Windows 11.

Simply installing the manual patch won't do the trick since Intuit doesn't bother to release manual patches at the same pace as they release updates for the auto-updater, rendering the manual patches useless.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for sharing this information. @zreddy

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

A year later, this is once again an issue in TurboTax Deluxe 2022. The auto-updater does not work on Windows 11, and the latest manual patch is not new enough to enable submission (FAILED_VALIDATION error).

Really nice work, Intuit.

@zreddy 

Something else to try.

A waiting Windows OS update has been known to block proper TTX updates.

One was issued last week (at least it was for W10. I suspect W11 may be on the same schedule)

Check for, and install any waiting W11 updates....reboot a couple times, then try updating TTX again to see if that works.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

There was indeed a "2023-05 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5026446)" waiting. Installing it and rebooting a couples of times didn't make TurboTax any more capable of updating itself, though.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies