Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can i efile my 2019 1040-x amended form? it is rejecting today's date to efile

Is there a timeline for Intuit to fix the problem? 

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@aufderha3 An Amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. When you have finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return.

Please see the instructions below on how to Amend your 2019 Tax Return:

How do I amend a 2019 return in TurboTax?

Although the IRS permits a 2019 Amended return to be efiled, TT does not have that capability.

HaKe
Level 2

This makes no sense.  The software step-by-step says the 2019 amended form can be efiled - that is until you get to the very last step and it rejects a 2021 signature date. And when you go to the screen to print the tax forms the screen reads, "The following forms have been transmitted. Don't file returns by mail that have already been submitted electronically."

Turbo Tax needs to get its act together and stop with the conflicting in-app guidance.

Turbo Tax needs to publish an OFFICIAL statement on whether 2019 amended taxes can be e-filed. Scrolling through multiple user posted questions here, all with conflicting answers,  is bullsh$t.  

TT - Put out THE official answer and save us a lot of time.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

The 1040X will be available for e-file on 3/25/21.

3 weeks after mailing your amended federal return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site. Allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.

Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
HaKe
Level 2

I just finished a chat with TurboTax chat agent who said YOU CAN NO LONGER E-FILE AN AMENDED 2019 RETURN.  He said the 3/25/21 date is for filing a 2020 return ONLY.  Note:  The chat agent was emphatic about this. He said mail in is the only option for 2019.  Someone at Turbo Tax needs to monitor these question and answer boards to make sure the correct answers are given by Turbo Tax employee "experts."

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

IRS Form 1040-X (amend your return) will be ready on March 25, 2021. Sign up for email notification and we'll let you know when the most current form is available.

When will Turbo Tax have the capability of e-filing Form 1040-X  to amend 2019 e-filed Form 1040-SR Tax Return?

We don't know if or when Turbo Tax will let you efile 2019 Amended returns.  Maybe when the 2020 amended return is available, which might be tomorrow March 25.  

Agree the 2 pages of comments about this is super confusing.  The IRS website clearly says 2019 returns are allowed to be e-filed if they were originally e-filed.  It also says to use tax prep software to do so.  Printing out 188 pages of amended 2019 Federal and State return that was e-filed using Turbo Tax doesn't seem right.  If I was able to file 2019, amend the return using Turbo Tax online, AND the IRS says 2019 amended returns are eligible for efile then it sounds like perhaps Turbo Tax has some type of restriction.  My full service expert wasn't entirely sure about 2019 amended return e-filing. We walked through it together, but when I clicked submit it wasn't able to be processed.  Appreciate if someone from the product team can perhaps look into this for us. Thanks very much!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Tax professionals are able to e-file 2019 returns, however this feature did not become available in TurboTax until 2020.  You can not e-file a 2019 amended return in TurboTax.

You could e-file your 2019 amended returns in Turbo Tax if you did it in 2019.  Turbo Tax has a bug that they are ignoring where the date field has to be a 2019 date for the submission date.

i should be able to efile my 2019 amended return

@angelabrwnsg wrote:

i should be able to efile my 2019 amended return

A 2019 amended tax return cannot be e-filed using TurboTax.  It will need to be printed and mailed.  If you have taxes owed on the amended return, it cannot be paid by direct debit from a bank account, you will need to either pay with a check mailed with the return or pay on the IRS payment website - https://www.irs.gov/payments

In the File section of the program change the method of filing to Mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies