Tsnotty

Can a Pre-Owned TurboTax CD be used?

I have run into a snag in my 2016 tax return and need to get a new copy of the software. If I purchase a pre-owned TurboTax Home & Business CD, would I be able to use it for a fresh install?

Tsnotty

Can a Pre-Owned TurboTax CD be used?

Btw, I've always used TurboTax online, but trying to get caught up on back taxes....

Can a Pre-Owned TurboTax CD be used?

You should still be able to use a 2016 TurboTax CD as long as you have a full PC or Mac that meets the system requirements.  Be aware that you have now forfeited any 2016 refund, but if you owe tax due you still have to pay it.  A 2016 return has to be printed, signed and mailed.  It cannot be e-filed.  Only a 2019 return can be e-filed (until October 15, 2020).   

Tsnotty

Can a Pre-Owned TurboTax CD be used?

Thank you for that!  I did have an extension in place, so I understood that I had through Oct 15th to file for a refund. Is that incorrect?

Can a Pre-Owned TurboTax CD be used?

If you need to install 2016 better do it soon since they will stop supporting 2016 and you won't be able to update the program or download any state programs you need.  

Can a Pre-Owned TurboTax CD be used?

@Tsnotty wrote:

The extension request would have been for filing a 2019 Tax return up through October 15, 2020.  That does not apply to a prior year tax return, like 2016.  A 2016 tax return had to be filed on or before July 15, 2020 to be eligible for a 2016 tax refund.