turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tsnotty
Returning Member

Can a Pre-Owned TurboTax CD be used?

I have run into a snag in my 2016 tax return and need to get a new copy of the software. If I purchase a pre-owned TurboTax Home & Business CD, would I be able to use it for a fresh install?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Tsnotty
Returning Member

Btw, I've always used TurboTax online, but trying to get caught up on back taxes....

You should still be able to use a 2016 TurboTax CD as long as you have a full PC or Mac that meets the system requirements.  Be aware that you have now forfeited any 2016 refund, but if you owe tax due you still have to pay it.  A 2016 return has to be printed, signed and mailed.  It cannot be e-filed.  Only a 2019 return can be e-filed (until October 15, 2020).   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Tsnotty
Returning Member

Thank you for that!  I did have an extension in place, so I understood that I had through Oct 15th to file for a refund. Is that incorrect?

If you need to install 2016 better do it soon since they will stop supporting 2016 and you won't be able to update the program or download any state programs you need.  

@Tsnotty wrote:

Thank you for that!  I did have an extension in place, so I understood that I had through Oct 15th to file for a refund. Is that incorrect?

The extension request would have been for filing a 2019 Tax return up through October 15, 2020.  That does not apply to a prior year tax return, like 2016.  A 2016 tax return had to be filed on or before July 15, 2020 to be eligible for a 2016 tax refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies