turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arf16k
Returning Member

Additiional fee of $40 for this refund process service

HI,

Why is there additional fee of $40 for refund service when I already purchased the state?

thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

The $40 service charge is because you requested to have your TurboTax account fees paid from your federal tax refund.  This is the service charge the third party processor charges for receiving your tax refund, deducting the fees and then direct depositing the remainder of the tax refund.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for removing the pay with refund fee - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-remove-pay-with-my-refund-fees-in-turbot...

Or are you using the Desktop CD/Download program?   There is a $20 fee to efile state.  If you want it deducted from your federal refund there is an Extra $40 Refund Processing Service charge (45 in California) which you can avoid by paying with a credit card.  

arf16k
Returning Member

Can I decline those third party fees?

@arf16k wrote:

Can I decline those third party fees?

If you select to pay the TurboTax fees with a credit card then you will not be incurring these fees for refund processing.

arf16k
Returning Member

I already paid $40 to purchase a state. Looks like turbo tax is charging me another $40 to purchase the same state.

You never exactly said what version you are using.  And the Online website or the Desktop installed program.

For Online,  How to see your fees

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/0...

For help with fees

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/what-can-i-do-to-reduce-my-fees/00/26051

arf16k
Returning Member

When I start my state they are asking another $40 to finish the state. Which I already purchased.

arf16k
Returning Member

I am using the desktop version.

Did you see my post up above?  Are you trying to efile state?  Did you pay $40 to buy a second different state than the first free state?   Then even if you bought the state program you have to pay $20 to efile each state return.

Then if you want the fee deducted from your federal refund there is an Extra $40 Refund Processing Service charge.  You can avoid it by paying with a credit card or you can print and mail state for free.

Go back through the File tab to review or change your choices. Go slow and pay attention to what you click on to continue.  There is one screen that can trip you up.

Watch out for a screen like this

RTF Desktop.jpg

worm1001
Returning Member

I wish I would have been advised that by TurboTax I would have opted out and paid otherwise. There is no obvious explanation.

worm1001
Returning Member

I'm realizing that TurboTax is actually taking advantage of customers to pay off the lawsuit for taking advantage of customers.

Sorry ... but the screenshot above is quite clear about the extra fee so if you did not pay attention it is your error alone... no one forced you to choose that payment option.  

TOTAL SCAM I PAY $85 FOR DELUX THAT INCLUDED BOTH STATE AND FEDERAL NOW CHARGE ME FOR THIS...SCAM TURBOTAX MUST CLARIFY THOSE THINGS ...I WANT REFUND I WILL FIGHT THAT FOR SURE.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies