Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Accidentally filed Non-Filer, how to fix

Nope not yet still waiting. 

If your return rejected because you signed up on the non-filer Stimulus page see

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

So I had the same issue. I was trying to file for the stimulus check and my entire family did it through non filers and they told me to do that also, so I did. Well I never ended up getting a check and all of my friends told me I HAVE to file my taxes in order to get it. So I tried to file my taxes and it got rejected because there was already a ssn on file (I'm guessing because they already had my non filer info). So then I called the IRS and they told to me fill out a 1040x form and send it through the mail. So I printed out a 1040x and now I have NO clue how to fill this out. I've never filed taxes before let alone a 1040x form. Please help.

NeverAgain
Returning Member

I submitted the non-filer thinking I was just putting in personal information for my 1040NR (yeah, I'm also a non-resident alien, just to make things worse). I think it's good news that you actually got an official response from IRS telling us what to do, but I think it also means we need our "wrong" 1040 we generated from submitting the non-filer? Anybody know how to retrieve that? And I suppose since it's an "amendment", we don't need to worry about the July 15 deadline (not saying anyone should procrastinate)?

What do you mean? You didn't get all of the money you were owed? And what did you do regarding the stimulous check? You're absolutely right regarding the non-filers tool. I had been out of work for a long time before 2019, so I had no idea they used non-filers as a tax return. I also used it early on. I thought, like you, that I had to use it to recieve my stimulus check...Did you end up getting your stimulus check? Did you have to refile somewhere else? Everytime I went to check the status of mine it said there wasn't enough info. I also tried to e-file, and got the same message. Ended up smiling in my taxes, but I'm reading it could take 2 months (or longer now because of my non filers error) how long did it take yours? Thanks for all the info, this really helps.

I got my stimulus on June 3.

It came on my DIRECT Express debit card.

I'm on SSDI and have a payee.

Either of those two things could had been why mine took longer than other people I know, however using the non-filers tool also could had slowed it.

Then there's also the possibility that mine was deposited as it was scheduled and it wasn't slowed down at all.

That was such a stressful time! Covid, all by itself brought on stress. Add the lock down, and that the IRS continued to give us ,who receive any type of social security, various dates to expect payment, my stress was very intense.

I'm 65 years old. I live in a senior apartment bldg. where at least 2 residents died from COVID.

Shame on the IRS! Stress lowers the immune system. They said we would get paid at end of April, then early May, May 13, and of May, with a number of specific dates in between.

It felt like they were trying to kill us.

If you owe them, you do have to pay by the July deadline.

You do not have to amend unless you owe them or if they owe you AND you want what they owe you.

I'm choosing not to amend.

I don't owe them and I'm not due back any taxes. There are two tax credits my state will pay me if I do my state taxes, but I haven't bothered to collect those credits in years. I'm choosing not to collect them Th is year either.

I get SSDI and haven't filed taxes in 25 years. 

filed but was rejected because I did not fill in the adjusted gross income because we are filing as military 1099-R

@Velvetkat20 wrote:

filed but was rejected because I did not fill in the adjusted gross income because we are filing as military 1099-R

To e-file a 2019 federal tax return everyone must enter their 2018 AGI or the tax return can only be printed and mailed.

The 2018 AGI is on the 2018 Federal tax return you filed Form 1040 Line 7

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on View adjusted gross income (AGI)

Or go to this IRS website for free federal tax return transcripts - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

If your tax return continues to be rejected with the 2018 AGI then enter a 0 (zero) for the AGI and e-file again.

If this is also rejected then you will have to print and mail the tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

georgen0w
Returning Member

I have a client who has the exact same problem. In their case, the tax return was filed with $1 indicated as interest on their schedule B. Do you know how that got there?

@georgen0w  "I have a client...."

What do you mean "client?"  Paid tax preparers are not authorized to use TurboTax.  It violates the terms of service.  

And...the "exact same problem" as who--since this thread has three pages of user posts.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
georgen0w
Returning Member

I'm using Pro-Series. I just found this thread by searching for it.

What I meant by the same problem is:

"I accidentally filed the non-filer form on IRS's webpage thinking it was just for people who haven't file the 2019 tax return to submit banking information. Now I'm not able to e-file my tax."

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't realize I was replying to something with so many loose threads.

@georgen0w 

If you used the IRS non-filer site to get a stimulus check, you will now get a  “duplicate SSN” rejection.  We are seeing people who did not notice or ignored the warning on that site about using it if they would be filing a tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And I believe by using the non-Filer site it filed a return for $1.  So $1 of interest would make sense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies