Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CynthiaSossou
Returning Member

Accidentally filed Non-Filer, how to fix

I'm a first time filer. I was at the IRS yesterdsy to verify my ID and I was told that the person that filed my taxes has to fill out the 1040X form as an amendment because i filled the non-filer. She also said I have to attach the non-filer form I filled online to the 1040X form. My problem now is that the form is no more available online. I might have deleted it because I was filing my taxes. Is it really necessary? How do I retrieve the deleted form? Can I continue the return process without the form?

georgen0w
Returning Member

If I understand you correctly,you should get a transcript from the IRS to use as a tax return to then file an amendment from.

CynthiaSossou
Returning Member

I guess you're right. I'll have to request it by phone and receive it by mail because I don't have a credit card, student loan or morgage payment to ID myself online. Thank you so much! I hope this really solves it because I'm tired of going in circles.

CynthiaSossou
Returning Member

Apparently I can't request for a transcript online or over the phone because my ID hasn't been verified by the IRS yet. So there seems to be no way I can retrieve the non-filer form I filled online. Arrrrggg this is rely frustrating. 

I don't think you need to amend.  If your return rejected because you signed up on the non-filer Stimulus page see

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

CynthiaSossou
Returning Member

My return wasn't rejected, it was accepted.

Then I'm lost.  Why do you need to amend?  Or who needs to amend?  What was Accepted?  The non-Filer return or your actual 1040 return?  

CynthiaSossou
Returning Member

I filed the non-filer return to get the stimulus check. Then I filled 2019 taxes electronically but it was rejected because the non-filer is considered as a new return.

So now in order to file my 2019 taxes, i have to amend (replace the non-filer by my 2019 return).

No.  Your real return was rejected.  You don't file a 1040X Amended return.  You print and mail your regular 1040 and write Amended EIP Return at the top of your 1040 form.  See,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

CynthiaSossou
Returning Member

It was accepted not rejected. I already paper filed the 1040. I was at the IRS yesterday to verify my ID since I am a first time filer but they told me that I have to bring in the non-filer form I filled online. They explained to me that I double filed (which is not really a problem since I've sent the 1040 through mail). What I just need now is a copy of the non-filer I filled online.

georgen0w
Returning Member

That sounds a little extra messy. You are correct (as far as I can tell) that your return was not rejected. I would think filing a paper return or a amended return with a letter explaining everything that happened would clear it all up. Or call them back and if they say you need to provide a copy of the transcript of the return filed, explain about your issues with getting the transcript and that you're pretty sure it was filed with $1 in line 2b.

If none of that works, I guess you'll have to file a 4506-T to request a copy of the transcript by mail.

Jsm12073

I also did the same thing. The IRS said that it's a common problem that they have seen however there is nothing that they can do to fix it. They said the only thing that we can do is wait until next year file a paper return filled out with all zeroes (since we have no income)  and it will correct itself and send our stimulus payment. That's what I was told by the IRS anyway. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

makes no sense what the IRS told you.  The non-filers return is for people who are not required to file a return.  since you say you have no income you were correct in filing that type of return.  the exception would be if you were a dependent.  then if you would be under 17 on 12/31/20, the taxpayers that claimed you, if anyone, for 2019 would get it. if you are a dependent that would be over 17 on 12/31/20, then no one gets a payment for you.  if you CAN be claimed as a dependent in 2020, you will not get the stimulus 

Joheat

The IRS has no idea how any if this ends up working.

I wasn't suppose to use the non-filers tool, but it ended up speeding things up.

This is new to the IRS too.

Joheat

The non-filers tool ends up filing a short version of your 2019 taxes.

If you don't owe them and there's nothing you want back from them, there's no need to amend the return that tool filed for you.

The tool does enter that the IRS owes you $1, even though you entered all zeroes.

That's their error.

I know the IRS  never sent me $1, so I'm assuming it corrected itself.

Tons of people used that tool. All of theirs said they get $1 back.

The facts are that this is all new to the IRS and they haven't a clue as to how it all is ending up.

Different employees will all tell different answers to the same question.

One employee admitted to me that they use Google to give us answers.

Lol...ive updated various workers as to current updates they hadn't been made aware of at that time.

Talking to any employee will give you answers that you could had got better truth through Google.

TurboTax is just as ignorant, as are most tax accountants.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies