turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Accidentally filed Non-Filer, how to fix

@TarheelEd 

So did this get figured out? 

Do I really got to put this in the mail and wait 16 weeks?

IS THIS SOLVED OR WTF

@dkess7 wrote:

@TarheelEd 

So did this get figured out? 

Do I really got to put this in the mail and wait 16 weeks?

IS THIS SOLVED OR WTF

If you used the IRS non-filer website to register for the stimulus and now need to file a 2019 tax return, the only way to file the 2019 federal tax return is to mail the return.  E-filing a 2019 tax return using TurboTax closed after October 15, 2020.

• Before you mail, write Amended EIP Return at the top of your 1040 form (your federal return), without writing over any other information or fields.

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to this IRS website for mailing addresses - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

bkn79

I also accidentally filed non-filer for 2019, and followed the advice on this thread to correct my error. This is my timeline:

May 2020: Accidentally filed non-filer

June 2020: Filed an amended 1040x paper return, with a cover letter explaining my error

June 2020: Made a payment for taxes due, ~$2500

....waited patiently...no update on my IRS.gov account....

February 2021: Received a paper check refund for ~$2500 (and no documents from IRS)

February 2021: (plan to) return the paper check to the IRS by mail marked VOID with brief explanation cover letter

I'm assuming the IRS has yet to process my paper return. I assume returning the voided check would be right thing to do.

Does this make sense, or does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

How do i file non filers taxes for the stimulus check cant get any help

Evadiva84
Returning Member

I was on the same boat. I called my accountant and he did it for me. I believe he filed for 2020 taxes. I got all 3 stimulus checks in 14 days . Good luck

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you mean you normally don't file a return, file a 2020 return and claim 1 dollar "Other Income" (found under Wages & Income") in order to file a return now for tax year 2020.

If you mean that you filed and said that someone else can claim you for tax year 2020, but that is not the case and you need to correct that, you will need to file an amended return and claim yourself. 

You have 3 years from the date you filed your return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file an amended return.

Please click here for how to amend a return you already filed

@raymareno65

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I don't know which one non filers or filers

@Ysaysarueda7 What are you trying to do?   If you are asking about a 2020 tax return or a way to get the stimulus checks there is not a "non-filer" form or portal.   You simply file a 2020 Form 1040 and use the recovery rebate credit to get the 1st and/or 2nd stimulus payments if you did not receive them.  If you do not have any income at all to enter the IRS allows you to enter $1 of interest so that you can e-file.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st and 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

If you are trying to get the monthly child tax credit payments see this information:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hey do you know if my return will be accepted I chose the option that I used the IRS tool to get my stimulus payment in 2021 because I dident work in 2020 and they asked for my ID and if I used that tool but I remembered after I submitted that I didn't use that tool.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The IRS cross checks all tax returns and stimulus money and correct the returns that are incorrect. This will cause a delay in your refund. Of course, your return could be rejected for some other reason once the IRS opens. If it rejects, then you should enter the correct amounts before submitting the return a second time.

@Wwal721

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Communication is key. They should of told you what their plans was. You cannot be responsible for their lack of communication. I hope everything goes well

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies